Drift positions

Tony

Tomorrow i have an MR2 SW20 with a Geometry previously set by someone else specifically for drifting.... the new owner wants the positions recovered to stock, but at least i will be able to view another company's opinion for drift positions...... i will keep everyone up-dated :D

MASSIVE rear -ve camber by any chance?

The MR2 is not an ideal drift car, the fronts so light you can get it sideways but it's not as graceful as a heavy fronted FR RWD.

Can drive something like an s14 sideways until the cows come home (what does that saying mean?) but i've had real trouble holding my mr2 in a drift for longer than 3 or 4 seconds.

The drifting bible video describes how different cars work under drift and they've one of japans top drivers at the wheel. He manages to drift all the cars perfectly first time apart from the mr2 which takes him a few attempts to not spin!

MASSIVE rear -ve camber by any chance?

The MR2 is not an ideal drift car, the fronts so light you can get it sideways but it's not as graceful as a heavy fronted FR RWD.

Can drive something like an s14 sideways until the cows come home (what does that saying mean?) but i've had real trouble holding my mr2 in a drift for longer than 3 or 4 seconds.

The drifting bible video describes how different cars work under drift and they've one of japans top drivers at the wheel. He manages to drift all the cars perfectly first time apart from the mr2 which takes him a few attempts to not spin!

Absolute opposite.....

Measured ............................................Stock

REAR

Camber : 1 degree 25' per side...........1 degree 25'

Toe : 6mm+ per side............................1.5mm+ per side

FRONT

Camber : 3 degrees - per side...........50'- per side

Castor : 1 degree 40'+ per side.........2 degrees 45'+ per side

Toe : 7mm- per side..........................(.25mm)+ per side

The set-up i designed to over-steer and orbit the rear around the front initializing the drift...jon you experienced this effect on your track day, implying how solid the front is but the rear was very nervous.

Interesting to me is how violent the front camber/ toe is... and how conservative the rear camber is.... Seemingly the owner still wanted a reasonably tight rear camber... i will maths the set-up and forward a conclusion.

That was my car :D

Handling for me is much better now, the front feels MUCH more secure than before!!

Trackday is looming..... :D

Welcome in Nick :D Geometrically your car gave me a massive insight to how other people set the car for drifting.....The camber and castor was as expected, but the violent toe was not, especially the front position...For a year i argued negative front toe would over activate the 'toot'.... and each time i was cut down, seemingly the cut down was miss-information trying to cut an edge.

The positions now are very....very different how does the 'turn in' feel?....... Also does the steering feel lighter?

Handling for me is much better now, the front feels MUCH more secure than before!!

Welcome in Nick :D Geometrically your car gave me a massive insight to how other people set the car for drifting.....The camber and castor was as expected, but the violent toe was not, especially the front position...For a year i argued negative front toe would over activate the 'toot'.... and each time i was cut down, seemingly the cut down was miss-information trying to cut an edge.

The positions now are very....very different how does the 'turn in' feel?....... Also does the steering feel lighter?

steering feels heavier, which is what i wanted.

turn-in, need to find some more twisty roads, have only really driven it on the motorway so far, and a few laps of roundabouts at 50mph :D

turn-in, need to find some more twisty roads, have only really driven it on the motorway so far, and a few laps of roundabouts at 50mph :D

Excellent example of Geometry..... On the front we dialled out massive amounts of Camber, which is a compressive force.... this was replaced by adding a small amount of Castor which is a mechanical force... The steering feel now is a direct result of the one angle.

What you need to asses now is the 'steering feel' and the reactive turning radii.. From this we can develop a feel and radii... Then add to this over/under steer to develop the Camber for your Geometry.

Excellent example of Geometry..... On the front we dialled out massive amounts of Camber, which is a compressive force.... this was replaced by adding a small amount of Castor which is a mechanical force... The steering feel now is a direct result of the one angle.

What you need to asses now is the 'steering feel' and the reactive turning radii.. From this we can develop a feel and radii... Then add to this over/under steer to develop the Camber for your Geometry.

I shall certainly be monitoring it, and will report my feedback :D

Geometry and handling will certainly play a big part in trackdays!