custom top mounts

eeyore

Hi,

First post on here. My car is an NSX, actually its the one in the video in the Track Day section.

I am wondering if anyone on here is able to machine up some custom top mounts for dampers. I am looking at getting some new ones, and they have 'eye' fittings at both ends. What I am looking for is a mount to convert the eye fitting to a round flat base, commonly used at the top of suspension turrets.

I do have some engineers that make up stuff from my drawings already, but I was wondering if any suspension designers here had some standard programs already written, or experience in this as a starting point.

I live in Welwyn by coincidence.

I have discussed it with my vendor/fabricator in the States and work is underway. I just needed to convince him it was a good idea.

I'm making a system up with Koni 3012 dampers, and 1000/600 lb springs front and rear.

( I just wanted to mention the spring rates to see what reaction I get from here!)

I assume were talking 1000lbs/in springs

I would only ever use rates like that in a dedicated circuit racing application, normally where ground effects are demanding that surface seperation be kept totally constant.

You should perhaps consider the handling ramifications especially with regard to the limit grip break away characteristics and even straight forward driver physical fatigue.

Also for whats it's worth I think 1000 both front and rear could be a bit tricky to balance, we normally stagger the rates on the NSX

1000lbs/in might seem quite stiff but believe it or not I have actually had to use a lot stiffer rates in the past :P

I currently have 570lb/in on the front and 600lb/in on the rear right now. I have been tracking the car for years, and yes it is pretty much dedicated to the track.

The NSX needs lots of roll resistance in the front. Comptech who have been racing and preparing NSXs for 15 years use a 1000 front /600 rear for their track suspension kits, and lots of people I know in the States rate that setup as the best around.

The Koni valving I am getting will take anything from 250 to 1500lb, so I can play as much as I like.

I assume were talking 1000lbs/in springs

I would only ever use rates like that in a dedicated circuit racing application, normally where ground effects are demanding that surface seperation be kept totally constant.

You should perhaps consider the handling ramifications especially with regard to the limit grip break away characteristics and even straight forward driver physical fatigue.

Also for whats it's worth I think 1000 both front and rear could be a bit tricky to balance, we normally stagger the rates on the NSX

1000lbs/in might seem quite stiff but believe it or not I have actually had to use a lot stiffer rates in the past :P

My fingers are too used to writing lb/ft instead of lb/in :P

Eeyore, I work on the hatfield side of St Albans so if you ever fancy comparing track cars let me know, I enjoy any excuse to poke around an NSX.

I'm interested as to the logic of going 40% harder on the front of the NSX, when your current balance, like mine on the SW20 (similar weight balance), is by default harder at the rear. You're adding 430lb/in to the front and leaving the rear as it is. How is the car so bad that it requires this much of a drastic step?

I didn't say there was anything bad with it.

Honda do it for the Type R. The front rates are much stiffer than the rear. The front/rear ratio on that one is 140%.

My fingers are too used to writing lb/ft instead of lb/in :thumbsup_anim:

Eeyore, I work on the hatfield side of St Albans so if you ever fancy comparing track cars let me know, I enjoy any excuse to poke around an NSX.

I'm interested as to the logic of going 40% harder on the front of the NSX, when your current balance, like mine on the SW20 (similar weight balance), is by default harder at the rear. You're adding 430lb/in to the front and leaving the rear as it is. How is the car so bad that it requires this much of a drastic step?

It's a brute force way of pushing the roll axis rear ward in the chassis... it strikes me as a typically American approach I'm afraid, thats not to say it won't work reasonably well though :thumbsup_anim: ... as long as you run a good sidewall profile at the front with reasonably low pressure