Slow Leak on Tyre Rim

damian35

Hi,

Any advice appreciated...

Identified a small leak a few months ago coming from the inside rim of my alloy (7 years old). Looked like it was a place which had previously had a knock on weight and you could see a slight depression/chip in the paintwork in this location.

Took it back to my local STS who had fitted the tyre a few weeks previous and they removed the tyre, thoroughly cleaned and refitted the tyre. All good but in the last week I've noticed that there is still a small loss of pressure on this tyre. Will remove it tomorrow, slightly over inflate and dunk it in a wheelbarrow full of water to confirm it is a rim leak.

I'm pretty sure I'll confirm what I think it is but just wondered whether there is anything else you can recommend to try and get a more permanent fix to this issue. I was wondering about getting the tyre removed, cleaning it up myself and spraying/touching up the paintwork on this area of the rim with something appropriate.

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks,

Damian

p.s. as an aside, it looks like I've picked up a puncture on another wheel, so plenty of sorting out to do on my day off tomorrow! 

Hi Damian

After cleaning the bead area on the tyre the same area should have bead seal painted onto it. Bead seal is a latex type of fluid that expands if air passes it... Just so you know if anyone paints it on it's a black colour.