Wheel Alignmnent on Austin 1300 GT

MondeoGhiaX

hello again,

what wheel alignment can i have done on my austin 1300gt (1973)? it has hydrolastic suspension. i have only ever had tracking done in the past, and am suffering the usual steering wheel off-centre problem. the car doesnt pull or wander off line though. my local alignment centre uses a john bean v3d visualiner (not sure exactly which model). will it have data on this car, and can anything else be adjusted on it?

thanks in advance.

All that is adjustable is the front alignment, this should be set on something like the John Bean machine. Reason being the machine can find the true rear centre line. By finding this the front toe can be set to the absolute centre correcting the steering position.

In addition the JB has data for 25000 cars, this should include yours..... If not let me know and i can get the data ;)

• 1 month later...

i went and had wheel alignment done today. but i forgot to take the haynes manual with the toe data, so they set the front wheels parallel. when i checked later, the front wheels should toe out 1/8 inch (3.18 mm). is this a significant difference, is it worth going back to have it changed? the steering wheel is now centered, and the car seems to drive straight. please say its ok!

cheers.

i went and had wheel alignment done today. but i forgot to take the haynes manual with the toe data, so they set the front wheels parallel. when i checked later, the front wheels should toe out 1/8 inch (3.18 mm). is this a significant difference, is it worth going back to have it changed? the steering wheel is now centered, and the car seems to drive straight. please say its ok!

cheers.

It's wrong... You need to go back :thumbsup_anim: Dynamically the toe will be +3.18mm rather than 0.... So that's dragging the tyres sideways about 7ft a mile :unsure:

i feared you would say that. :) i am annoyed with myself for forgetting to take the manual. :huh:

how can i (they) convert the 1/8 inch toe out into degrees that the machine uses, or does the machine do this?

thanks for the help.

Toe is a longitudinal angle gathered between the position of the front wheels compared to the rear centre line. This can be measured in degrees or mm.

The machine can convert imperial to metric but just in case, here is the checking range....Your cars range should be 1/16 (1.75mm) to 1/8 (3.18mm)

Personally i would set the car to 1/8. This comfortably allows for play in the tired bushings.