Help to understand geometry information

Emotion

We are going to make an appointment to get our geometry checked. Last time we we had this done, we were shown a computer screen and told it needed this, that and the other done and we stood there like a couple of numpties and ok'd whatever they suggested as we hadn't got a clue.

This time, we would like to understand more about the information produced by the equipment, what it means, what questions to ask and so forth.  Can anyone help with this please?

Hello and welcome to wim

As you have experienced geometry can be a difficult topic not only to understand but to explain and it's for this reason most companies don't like you there watching.... We do? A printout and a bill means nothing to most people whereas an explanation of what's wrong, what it will cost to put right and why speaks volumes and justifys the fee.

The technical area in the website is a good place to start but in the basics area> http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/..... The MB chassis is superb but it does struggle with UK roads meaning there are issues so i suppose the best advice we can give is going to be born from the complaint?

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to wim

As you have experienced geometry can be a difficult topic not only to understand but to explain and it's for this reason most companies don't like you there watching.... We do? A printout and a bill means nothing to most people whereas an explanation of what's wrong, what it will cost to put right and why speaks volumes and justifys the fee.

The technical area in the website is a good place to start but in the basics area> http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/..... The MB chassis is superb but it does struggle with UK roads meaning there are issues so i suppose the best advice we can give is going to be born from the complaint?

Thanks, Tony.  I'll check out the technical area and may come back here with more specific questions.

Is the website working ok?  I've clicked on 'Buy Wheel Alignment' on the WIM website, but go through to blackboots.co.uk which doesn't seem to have an option to book for wheel alignment.

No the Online booking is down and BlackBoots is my sister company just to explain.

A read of the basics on the site is an overview albeit a nose bleed of a read, nevertheless your geometric realm is X, Y, Z which = left/ right, up/ down, fore/ aft. A combination of these places the wheels in 3D space but they need to reside in per-determined positions "suggested" by the manufacturer.

These positions are not the law meaning not everyone will have trouble free motoring even it the measured chassis compliments the suggested settings, so what do you do?...... Well nothing really, a decent shop will listen to the complaint, measure the chassis and apply bespoke settings which is normally within the manufacturers permitted tolerance + or - X, Y, Z.

Scary thing is once you have read the technical theory you will probably know more than the technician and it's for that reason i opened the information and the forum because i think the public deserve better than a drive by tracking.

• Like 1

Thanks.  We aren't having any problems - the car doesn't pull to one side; no shake rattle or rolling; no uneven tyre wear etc.  We're just in the process of replacing the tyres and it hasn't been checked for around a year so we thought we should get it checked (and we live near Chesham) - would you agree, or should we wait until we have a problem?