Asymmetric Tread

MondeoGhiaX

hello,

this is something i dont understand, maybe someone could explain.

the tyres on my car have an asymmetric tread, they are not directional though. but some of the shaped grooves cut in the tyre are definately directional, so when the tyres are on opposite wheels, the grooves are pointing in a different direction. so how can both tyres be behaving the same on both wheels? surely they should be a mirror image of each other? i just dont see how this can be right.

thanks.

post-2-1182711638.jpg

If you look at the image displayed the lateral groves must follow the same path whatever side they are fitted. Obviously the approach appears different but the footprint and dispersal rate remains the same.

ok this is what i mean. the tyres are dunlop sp sport fast response. they are not on the dunlop website, but the sp sport 01 are similar:

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/ourTyres/car/...ults/SPSport01/

i am talking about the hydro-paddle thingummy jigs. if you think about it, they must be pointing a different way on the left and right wheels, so i just cant see how they can be performing the same function. or dont they really do anything anyway.

cheers.

ok this is what i mean. the tyres are dunlop sp sport fast response. they are not on the dunlop website, but the sp sport 01 are similar:

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/ourTyres/car/...ults/SPSport01/

i am talking about the hydro-paddle thingummy jigs. if you think about it, they must be pointing a different way on the left and right wheels, so i just cant see how they can be performing the same function. or dont they really do anything anyway.

cheers.

The design permits the same footprint regardless.... Wet weather dispersal has the same ratio... The only down side is the the dispersal direction is determined by the front tyres toward the centre of the car. If the wheelbase is long then a "aquaplane" condition can be developed since the water is captured by the rear tyres.

Something I'm beginning to hear on the rumour mill, and Tony perhaps some of your more track day oriented clients will be able to answer this, is directional track tyres like the R888 and the A048 actually perform BETTER in the dry if you put them on backwards?!

Something I'm beginning to hear on the rumour mill, and Tony perhaps some of your more track day oriented clients will be able to answer this, is directional track tyres like the R888 and the A048 actually perform BETTER in the dry if you put them on backwards?!

As we know the best tyre in the dry is a bald one... Maybe running them in reverse makes them run at a different temperature?

Cool or hot is subject to some testing.

I was doing some reading after posting that and apparently it's actually in the wet they work better backwards because of different compounds left and right.

I don't believe this for a second so will be contacting Yokohama once the new tyre reviews site is up and finding out for sure!