Lexus IS200 - Untrue Suspension causing warped brakes

So here is my story….

Couple of years ago I hit a pretty nasty pothole on the NSF corner which blistered the tyre.

When I went for a tyre change the tyre shop pointed out that my front brakes were binding, so I had my calipers refurbished and refitted them with new discs and pads also.

500 miles in and my brakes feel like they are warped. I had judder in the steering wheel when braking from high speed and a pulsing sensation from the brakes when braking at low speed.

So, thinking the first set of brakes were rubbish, I fitted and 2nd new set.

500 miles in, and the warping symptoms are back.

I then had new lower ball joints and wishbone arm bushes fitted as the MOT advised they were almost out.

Still no difference, still have the warping sensation.

So thinking back to the pothole, a mechanic tested the run out on that side (both disc and flange/hub) and although it was minimally out he did say it was not out enough to make it a 100% diagnosis for the warping sensation.

I had him fit a brand new flange anyway (and a bearing whilst he was at it). I couldn’t afford a new set of brakes straight away but even so, the new flange made the warping symptoms less noticeable, though they did not disappear.

The symptoms got gradually worse again so I went in and had a 3rd set of front brakes fitted a couple of weeks ago.

I also visited WIM the day after the brakes were fitted and had the IS200 settings applied to my geometry. As I have been before the only adjustment needed was to the front toe. Drove out of WIM as you would expect everything felt tight and straight.

500 miles in and you guessed it, I have the warping symptoms again. I get judder braking from 30mph plus and a pulsing sensation when braking at low speed.

My steering also seems to have fallen out of alignment. The toe is out once again and the car is pulling to the left, even more so when braking.

There has to be something in my suspension that is worn or bent causing 3 sets of brand new brake discs to wear unevenly and give the warping symptoms after just 500 miles – right?

Any idea what defects in the suspension could cause the brakes to wear untrue considering all the things above I have already replaced?

All this time also, the NSF suspension has had a faint knocking noise when travelling down a bumpy road (the OSF hits bumps without any such noise). Could this be upper ball joint? Could the upper ball joint cause or contribute to the brake judder?

Any pointers to help me focus my diagnosis would be really appreciated J

Did you only have the one flange changed?..... Fact is disc's don't warp it's a myth..... The knocking noise is probably a drop link and very common.

I'm sure you remember mine were warped because of the warped hubs....  :whistle:

I remember the other Tony saying it was quite an unusual thing to happen though.

Sorry yes I know the warping is caused by uneven wear etc.....fact is, the 'warping' sensation isnt there when the new discs are fitted - quite frankly its bliss driving the car with smooth brakes for the first 500 miles of each set haha.

I only changed one flange and that was the NSF where I hit the pothole.

So Parthiban, you swapped both hub assemblies with used ones and all gone?

It was actually new ones but yes - all sorted after they were replaced.

I can probably dig out the invoice this evening if you need to know exactly what was replaced.

It was actually new ones but yes - all sorted after they were replaced.

I can probably dig out the invoice this evening if you need to know exactly what was replaced.

Yes please as I will go new also if the price isn't extortionate......

And thanks Tony, going back into the garage I use near me for thorough once over including dial gauge on both sides.

Just a quick follow up question.....any ideas what might cause my front toe to fall again out having only been to WIM 3 weeks ago?

Its pulling left....

.....and no jokes about my feet please lol

Yes please as I will go new also if the price isn't extortionate......

It wasn't cheap unfortunately, but I was so fed up with dealing with this for so long I was happy to pay as long as it was fixed. Invoice below, that was just the parts (note the discount applied as well!), there was another £200 of labour when it was all fitted at WIM. All in just under £900.

post-1222-0-99547700-1428700015.jpg