Horror of the week - 10/04/06

Tony

Each week i will display an image to remind members why we are here and what we are trying to avoid.

Car :- Lexus IS200

Position:- NSF

Size:- 215-45/17

Tyres mileage:- 1500

Reason:- Toe at 30mm Negative

Explanation

The car was second hand bought from a main Dealer.... the model was new to the owner but he felt something was wrong with the handling, several times the car was returned to the Dealer for inspection each time the report said there is nothing wrong with the car, the owner insisted for a independent inspection which was granted, the findings all born from a test drive suggested the cars Geometry was tested due to the cars 'loose' feeling and over-steer.... unfortunately the Dealer ignored these suggestions.

Soon after on the 'Motorway' a distressing noise forced the owner to the hard shoulder, with the front wheels on a lock he saw this....

post-2-1144700463_thumb.jpg

In actual fact both front tyres were in this condition!

The distressed owner pursued legal compensation based on the Dealers ignorance for placing him in a life threatening position, he was advised 'NOT' to pursue the claim because the tyres did not 'blow out' so the claim would be based on 'hear say' in addition the Dealer offered to refund all expenses.

In view of these extreme circumstance's i asked the Police how they would deal with this person if stopped on the road with the tyres in the condition displayed. Despite the circumstance's evolving the owners position the Police said they would deal with the matter in the same fashion as any other tyre related offence, ultimately it's the drivers responsibility to ensure the tyres are legal........ not the Dealers!

Any comments or your own images are welcomed.

Blimey, how lucky was that guy!!!! :huh: I've never seen anything as bad as that, I dread to think what could have happened if the tyre/s had blown on the motorway.

Unfortunately the police will always take the easy option, which would be to nick the driver, and yes to a degree it is certainly the drivers responsibility. But I still think the dealer has a lot to answer for allowing the car onto the road with bad geo.........even more so once he has been made aware of how bad the car felt??

Keith

Blimey, how lucky was that guy!!!! :huh: I've never seen anything as bad as that, I dread to think what could have happened if the tyre/s had blown on the motorway.

Unfortunately the police will always take the easy option, which would be to nick the driver, and yes to a degree it is certainly the drivers responsibility. But I still think the dealer has a lot to answer for allowing the car onto the road with bad geo.........even more so once he has been made aware of how bad the car felt??

Keith

That image is why wim exists, this example was not due to neglect just miss-understanding, the Dealer failed to recognize the problem... and the Police would commit to their duty regardless of how it evolved, the wim area is to make this sort of thing 'public' and act as a warning.

• 1 month later...
:blink: :blink: That pic is shocking. Very lucky to be ok and with the car still in contact driving around with those tyres

The evolution was very innocent as far as the owner was concerned, but i wonder how the Police would have dealt with him if caught on those tyres?