How does an auto/semi auto box work?

Rich

I had that same idea yesterday, usually I reverse in during the summer when it's light but I drive in during the winter just in case I don't see the walls, plus the front screen doesn't get as icey or misted up.

I waited a couple of minutes before leaving work last night and although it's not been as cold the change between 1st and 2nd wasn't as noticeable. When it gets colder I'll test it again by driving straight off one day and waiting the next and see what happens.

I had no idea that auto boxes held the gears longer when cold, I really thought something was faulty.

Does sound like that is what's happening then - yep I didn't know either, the Lexus definitely doesn't do this but I'll have to pay more attention in the Merc as I've never noticed this. That car's fairly quiet though so it's not easy to notice even it if was staying in each gear a fraction longer.

My Accord is the 2.0 auto, possibly same gearbox and this also hangs on 1st gear longer when cold and is normal behaviour (help warm the Cat up quicker along with the emissions etc.)  what shouldn't happen is a jolt from 1st to 2nd, maybe worth getting the transmission fluid replaced and at the correct level and ensuring it's the genuine Honda stuff , it appears the Honda boxes are quite sensitive to what brand of fluid is used and  can behave oddly if other brands e.g. the likes of Dextron are used.

Cheers Pete

Is yours the tiptronic box?

I did the fluid (twice) and filter a couple of 1000 miles ago with genuine oil (I won't use anything else in the gearbox) and it's at the correct level so that's ok. The jolt only happens if I try to accelerate too quickly when I first pull away, if I take it easy it's not too bad, even better since I've been waiting a minute or 2 after I first start the car.

Is yours the tiptronic box?

I did the fluid (twice) and filter a couple of 1000 miles ago with genuine oil (I won't use anything else in the gearbox) and it's at the correct level so that's ok. The jolt only happens if I try to accelerate too quickly when I first pull away, if I take it easy it's not too bad, even better since I've been waiting a minute or 2 after I first start the car.

if you're referring to sequential in that being able to operate it manually with the gear lever pushed over then yes it is mate, that is a bugger if you've changed the fluid, I don't get this jolt from 1st to 2nd at all , but what I do get is when the box has just changed down into 2nd at that point  I put my foot down it will tend to jolt at that point where I think it has changed to first and probably too much initial torque for the box to cope with!!LOL seems that whenever I'm trying to monitor what it's doing half the time I'm never sure if it's in 2nd or 3rd , not having had an auto for a few  years I'd forgotten how much of a pain they can be!!

Yes that's what I'm referring to, I usually push the lever over sometimes just to check what gear it is in!

I'm pretty sure it's now down to me trying to accelerate too quickly when it's in first and the box is still cold so can't cope with it, when it changes to 2nd I get the jolt. If I accelerate smoothly I can still feel it struggling to change up but there is no jolt.

The best test will be the middle of winter when it's nearer freezing, at around 8 degrees when I leave work it's not too bad ATM.

That is true Rich, you'll have to let us know what happens mate, other thing I do find a bit annoying with these auto boxes is the fifth gear lock-up (bit like an overdrive) in that it changes up into that far to early when driving say along A roads in traffic e.g. mine seems to change into it at around 40-45mph and the revs are sitting at about 1.5k almost feels like the engine is labouring, Honda probably designed it this way so as to get into top gear asap, for economy / lower emissions etc, would be great to have this re-programmed.

Cheers Pete