Mazda MX5 Steering driving me mad!

Hi All

I have had my 2007 MX5 NC for a number of months now after purchasing it in November.
It came with all 4 budget tyres which did not suit the car at all. Currently I have BF Goodrich Gforce profilers on the rear and Kuhmo Ecstas on the front on 16" rims.

Despite spending out on tyres that I knew had a good reputation I was stil underwhelmed with the way the car handled, especially at low speed. I then took a visit to WIM for a Geometry setup in December before a winter trip to Germany as the car was very skittish on the motorway. This undoubtedly help as the car felt much smoother and safer afterwards

However recently the cars handling is still not great and does not feel sporty like Id imagine it should. The front feels very light and floaty, especially at low speeds and does not feel as if there is much weight to the steering - feeling flat and lifeless. It also skips over slight imperfections in the road and tramlines under braking- all in all it doesnt inspire much confidence when driving. For some reason the TC cuts in almost all the time too. At higher speeds things seem better but still not perfect and does not feel planted to the road. My old Focus felt more stable!

I heard lowering onto the Eibach springs may help some of these issues, or does it sound as if there are bigger issues at play here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am really dissapointed in the car so far.

Reads very disappointing....

As you may know the ride height on the MK3 boarders the pinnacle of "what have you done!"..... Nevertheless there is saving ground to be had. Tyres and tyre make is an issue you really need to explore the brand you have and read into that.

In a perfect world..... We could make it perfect, lower the spring chassis 30mm F/R and calibrate the geometry back into it's wedding dress and trust me the MK3 is in my opinion the best handling in the 5 range but not if it's wearing stilettos :thumbsdown_anim:    

I like the Stilettos analogy :) because that what it feels like to drive, like its on tippy toes! "What have you done!" indeed. 

I dont doubt the ability of the BF Goodrich tyres at all and suspect that maybe its the Kuhmos that are letting the side down a little. Nevertheless wouldnt expect them to behave this badly!

Sound like the way to go is to lower by 30mm and possibly another geo once they have settled. Would this cure the lightness in the steering? Annoying when it wants to follow any slight curve in the road at low speeds. 
Also do you happen to fit suspension kits by any chance, am now thinking of purchasing the Eibach pro kit to remedy all this.

Thanks 

Excellent, may make a visit soon. One thing I have noticed is that after inflating all tyres to 32psi instead of the recommended 29psi the ride seems better - more bouncy but definately an improvement. You can definately feel there is a great chassis there waiting to be improved upon....