Why are commercial tyres are inflated in cages... This is why!

Tony

My cousin is a mobile tyre fitter and had a lorry tyre explode next to him. He was pumping it up from a distance, got to the correct pressure switched the compressor off. When he approached the tyre it exploded and deafened him. He was very lucky that he was still some distance away but goes to show how dangerous they are!

That is crazy to put it simple. I cannot even imagine how that guy probably pooped himself when that tire let loose. If you watch closely you will notice that he looks away just before the tire lets go. Not that actually watching the tire would have made it any less of a problem or less likely for him to have deficated in his pants, but it had to really take him by surprise when something suddenly popped and he was flung into the air. Those tires can be no joke. I have seen several people get hurt from something like this in my family. I have many family members who drive large trucks and every one of them has a story to tell about a rogue tyre running wild and hurting someone.

Wise words....... Many years back i was working on a 7.50/ 16 lorry tyre with a single locking ring. I did put it an an inflation cage and was sitting there against car tyres leaning on the cage. I remember checking the air pressure and it read 30PSI, just as i pressed the inflater the wheels locking ring exploded off the rim bending the 6" cage bars like butter..... My eyes looked like ET's for about a week and i held a Johnny Bravo hairstyle for the same period.....  :o