E46 rear inner tyre wear, non runflat

n0v0s

Hi,

As above, I've noticed a 0.5 inch deep grove running evenly around the tyres circumference. Upon inspecting inside the arch, there appears to be no obvious marks or areas where it could have been rubbing.

The alloy is the standard offset mv2 rear fitted with a 255/35/18 Avon zz3 NON runflat tyre. My car is a 330d sport with near enough standard ride height.

I am aware the runflat bmws suffer this due to the sidewall stiffness not complying with the bmw spec negative camber and toe settings.

The drivers side rear is ok. It looks to have occurred in the last few thousand miles/months. Geometry was checked a few months prior, settings for rear camber were around -1deg 37mins and toe in was around 9mins each side. Bushes look gd, but need to confirm rear trailing bushes in daylight.

Front camber is more negative on drivers side, possibly by 0.5degree - and so the car pulls to passenger side which has the least negative camber. im assuming this is due to the car effectively leaning towards the n/s..?

I need to hold steering wheel towards the right to keep car straight, if I let go, the car will always pull noticeably to the left regardless of road camber - even with a different set of front alloys/tyres combo.

Could this put extra strain on the passenger rear tyre sidewall, to contribute towards the wear pattern?

Anyone come across this before with a non runflat tyre? As I can't find any obvious areas where it could have rubbed, I'm stumped.

It looks to me like natural camber wear that's visibly exaggerated because the tyre is worn below the legal limit. If it was worn like that and the rest of the tyre has 3+mm then i would be alarmed. To permit the expected handling from the BMW there's  "sacrificial" tyre wear, within reason.

Well yes but it's probable the camber on the other side has degraded slightly since the last geometry calibration. Don't forget the reason the cambers are adjustable is by design BMW knew the positions would change. This is mainly due to the flexibility and agility of the chassis. As said i would be more concerned had there have been 3+mm tread remaining on the tyre.