Increase in Rear Wheel power, increase in RW tyres?

steve b

I have upped the power on my MX5 to 250bhp, I have been wondering about fitting wider rear tyres. I see many high power rear drive cars have wider rear tyres than up front and wonder if this setup would be beneficial for the mx5 now rather than a low 133bhp its got 250bhp going through the rear wheels.

or will it just make it "understeery"?

:closedeyes:-->

QUOTE(steve b @ Mar 23 2007, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have upped the power on my MX5 to 250bhp, I have been wondering about fitting wider rear tyres. I see many high power rear drive cars have wider rear tyres than up front and wonder if this setup would be beneficial for the mx5 now rather than a low 133bhp its got 250bhp going through the rear wheels.

or will it just make it "understeery"?

Your intentions are wise but I'm not saying anything :thumbsup_anim: jon who runs a track MR2 has just finished his track day with new "wider rear tyres" and a new wim track set-up for his car. Both Sam@tdi and myself worked on the calibration, mainly dismissing rear tyre saturation so i feel jon's report holds more "hands on experience". We await that report.

I must say though. The MX5 having a "i believe" perfect dynamic index of 1.00, maybe 1.10? would be much.....much easier to math!

I was thinking of picking up a set of pre 2003 MR2 roadster wheels with the staggered width setup, but not the diameter change. I'm currently running 15x7 ET 37 with 195/50's, from the stock 14x6 ET45 185/55. The mr2 wheels are 15x6 45ET and 15x6.5 ET 45, so I was thinking 195 up fron 205 rear. Centre bore & stud pattern are correct, as the mr2 wheels corrode there are plenty of sets available very cheaply so I would think they'd be ideal as a set of trackday wheels. They are also nice and light in comparison to cheap aftermarket items.

:thumbsup_anim:-->

QUOTE(steve b @ Mar 23 2007, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of picking up a set of pre 2003 MR2 roadster wheels with the staggered width setup, but not the diameter change. I'm currently running 15x7 ET 37 with 195/50's, from the stock 14x6 ET45 185/55. The mr2 wheels are 15x6 45ET and 15x6.5 ET 45, so I was thinking 195 up fron 205 rear. Centre bore & stud pattern are correct, as the mr2 wheels corrode there are plenty of sets available very cheaply so I would think they'd be ideal as a set of trackday wheels. They are also nice and light in comparison to cheap aftermarket items.

jon has expressed his day here: http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...ic=1039&hl= have a read and come back for personal opinion/questions.