Donnington 18th March 2007

jon

I'm a little rushed so please excuse the fragmented nature of this post...

I did Donington Sunday. Great day all round, I think I was about the fastest thing there not on slicks (including a gt3 on trackday tyres) and apart from the snow at the end of the day the weather treated us well.

My past few days at Donington I've suffered with awful understeer so it was into Tony before the day to have a bit of a tune. We went from -ve to a little +ve toe at the front and dialled in a bit more camber (nearing 3 degrees -ve IIRC) to try and stop the car scrubbing across the road at speed. We also put a wider rear tyre on (245 instead of 225) and straightened up the back to around a degree negative.

Suffice to say this worked (i've ran these settings before) and I had no trouble with the front all day. I started with my dampers set to 11 each end to find where the balance was and I had awful turn in oversteer. Few more feeling laps and I was happy with softening up the rear by 5 clicks and I enjoyed a very nice balace throughout the day!

One thing I'm fairly sure this highlights is my front spring rate is way too soft (4kgs compared to 8kgs rear) as for the MR layout I'd assume I'd want slightly harder damping at the rear. I plan to up the front spring rate to around 6kgs and put on some wider ARBs.

I was running mid 1:24s again and felt like there was nothing left in the car on standard tyres.

Few pictures from the day:

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

Loads more http://bookatrack.com/-pX?3870 , some really good.

Videos from the day and tyre temperatures to come! The videos are quite amusing, I got my only spin of the day along with some hillarious half spins and me sideways down crainers at 110mph :thumbsup_anim:

Excellent feed-back thank you jon. wim team jon is quite a challenge for us because his instructions are structured intelligent demands.

His drive has been adopted by wim for chassis development with a difference? We allow jon to suggest a calibration then test it, this is his set-up. From the feed back we then suggest calibration, this is our set-up. So in essence we take turns suggesting calibration positions (driver/developer collaboration) jon's current calibration belongs to wim/tdi and was somewhat hostile to jon's normal train of thought? And this is why...

Excluding the normal Geometric advantages our concern was to adopt the wider rear tyres. Obviously it's during the corner (on-in-off) where we needed to concentrate the calibration, so a we reduced the Geometric tyre commands/saturation levels to allow confident corner (on) without departure. Thrust application during finite weight transfer and saturation (off) the corner with the calibration jon has seems adequate..... for now :thumbsup_anim: