MX5 Handling problem

OK, here's the problem. We bought a 89 G reg MX5 last week for a good price but knowing it needed a few jobs doing on it. One of these was new front springs. The front is low but the near side is 1/2" lower than the drivers side so I suspected a tired/cracked front spring.

Driving around town is fine but after taking her out for a longer run I notice what I think is torque steer. On hitting the throttle the car pulls to the right a bit and when I lift off, it pulls back to the left. In between it seems fine. You only notice it over 45/50. After speaking to STS this morning, the chap said possibly a wishbone joint/bush or maybe an engine mount. Does this sound right?

It needs a trip to WIM as due to the required suspension change a full geometric alignment is in order.

BTW, it's running on GAB 8 points adjustable shocks but I'm not sure what springs.

OK, here's the problem. We bought a 89 G reg MX5 last week for a good price but knowing it needed a few jobs doing on it. One of these was new front springs. The front is low but the near side is 1/2" lower than the drivers side so I suspected a tired/cracked front spring.

Driving around town is fine but after taking her out for a longer run I notice what I think is torque steer. On hitting the throttle the car pulls to the right a bit and when I lift off, it pulls back to the left. In between it seems fine. You only notice it over 45/50. After speaking to STS this morning, the chap said possibly a wishbone joint/bush or maybe an engine mount. Does this sound right?

It needs a trip to WIM as due to the required suspension change a full geometric alignment is in order.

BTW, it's running on GAB 8 points adjustable shocks but I'm not sure what springs.

Hello...I am off work today playing "catch up" on-line. STS are talking "Pants" The application of thrust is not uniform through the drive train... A bushing at the diff must be worn off-setting the shafts or the chassis is twisted.. Although 1/2" does not suggest this?.. Bring her in so we can explore the possibilities rather than guess.

:thumbsup_anim: OK Tony, I guess the best thing is to phone you tomorrow to make an appointment then.

Book the car in for the time window 2hrs and lets explore the problem. At STS this costs nothing!!! other than your time, but allows us to truly examine the car.

The previous owner did say that it had had the diff replaced a couple of years ago. And the comment about torque being predominately FF is what I thought. Might tie in with being asked by the garage if the MX5 was front or rear wheel drive. We'll wait and see what Tony has to say when I go and visit him.

Might tie in with being asked by the garage if the MX5 was front or rear wheel drive.

If a garaged asked me that i'd take it elsewhere!

Abso-bloody-lutely. Good thing is that "thrust steer" on a RWD has few criminals so capturing the reason should be easy..... (should)

Car is booked for next week.. It seems to have an issue with the parallelograms in particular the upper allowing a twist in the chassis. I think Jarbie's visit is going to be diagnostics rather than calibration, a welcome challenge whatever.

Today was my appointment with Tony and what a sucessful day it proved to be. Although there were some signs of distortion to the chassis, the major culprits were identified as wildly out geometry settings coupled with the worn tyres. Tony checked everything, then clearly explained the problems and proposed a course of resolution. This entailed new rubber and a welcome return to Mazda settings. The result is a very planted car with absolutely no trace of the 'thrust steer'.

My heartfelt thanks Tony. It wasn't a case of customer satisfaction - more customer delight. :ph34r_anim:

Today was my appointment with Tony and what a sucessful day it proved to be. Although there were some signs of distortion to the chassis, the major culprits were identified as wildly out geometry settings coupled with the worn tyres. Tony checked everything, then clearly explained the problems and proposed a course of resolution. This entailed new rubber and a welcome return to Mazda settings. The result is a very planted car with absolutely no trace of the 'thrust steer'.

My heartfelt thanks Tony. It wasn't a case of customer satisfaction - more customer delight. :ph34r_anim:

I am very pleased for you! The initial testing proved the trim displacement was in the upper parallelogram not the lower.... The chassis calibration was 100% and a result for us both.... What was really nice (wobble head time) is that i said this in advance of even seeing the car... :ph34r_anim: