set up

tony

what sort of set up would be best for say :

a front wheel drive car

for maximum traction off the line

ie: tyre pressure

hard /soft damper settings

and again how would this differ from a track setting

its all very well having adjustable dampers, but knowing how to set them would be handy

:)

tony

what sort of set up would be best for say :

a front wheel drive car

for maximum traction off the line

ie: tyre pressure

hard /soft damper settings

and again how would this differ from a track setting

its all very well having adjustable dampers, but knowing how to set them would be handy

:)

Very broad question and terribly difficult to answer without being misleading... can we refine things a little.

Launch and actual race serve different purposes.... the Damper settings are dependent on the track as is the Geometry and tyre pressures, for a track day i would need parameters for the type of track and number of bends involved including direction ratio (left-right).... if the car is for used for domestic driving and occasional race days then i would assume there is need to preserve tyre wear since race set-up is hostile to tyre wear through the Geometry positions.

1/4 mile at Santa pod or track day at Silverstone both have very different needs.

i see your point

ok for starters 1/4 mile races at santa pod

i guess:

low front tyre pressures

hard damping at rear

now would the front damping be better soft or hard

and would camber be worth considering

i see your point

ok for starters 1/4 mile races at santa pod

i guess:

low front tyre pressures

hard damping at rear

now would the front damping be better soft or hard

and would camber be worth considering

1/4 mile is a good example for the complexities within Geometry.... and healthy for debate.

Some history first? some...'nay'....many years ago i was asked to consider the Geometrical positions of a 'Funny car' running at the Pod..... 'no worries' i thought :D ' point forward and 'nail it'.... how wrong i was!

Launch delivers lateral and centrifugal forces to the rear tyres and means a Positive/ Negative reply toward the engines rotational inertia... (Mechanical Engineers) would understand this better than me, but the consequence means the rear will definitely 'kick out'... problem #1

Assuming the 'kick can be controlled' then the front obviously needs to be steered during shift, but with the consideration of accelerated down force, and the impact ratio on the front, which is descending in impact but increasing in down force during the 1/4 mile....problem # 2

Front camber/toe needed to be realised from the point the wheels left the ground to all the descending consequences during compression and down force....problem # 3

By # 4 i had a nose bleed.... but i did set the car for a few seasons :D

Back to the initial question... fwd.... pod....launch.... for debate i would lean toward rear dampers % and front Toe.... 'Traction and Application'

:D ......erm .... :D .........mmmmm........ :D ........ok you lost me somewhat :D

This is not deliberate i assure you!

In a forum promoting Geometry a request involving the topic will receive this sort of reply.

Often there will be a need to 'refine' the question since the response could become 'distant' in understanding and of little value!

The Nemesis of Geometry are the variables, the wim forum will dismantle the variables at all levels 'over time', gradual explanation from experts will enforce desire....but again this will take time.

.......for the 1/4...... give me a kick from the above topics (one area) so we can expand....