Interesting MX5 setup

juzzyp

This is not for the track but a general geometry aimed at street and track.

Now these guys have considerable expertise when it comes to the MX5, they've spent 15 years developing parts for the car.

What do you guys reckon to their recommended alignment settings:

Front

Caster: 5.0 degrees

Camber: 1.0 degrees negative

Toe: 1/16" total (1/32" per side)

Rear

Camber: 1.5 degrees negative

Now these guys have considerable expertise when it comes to the MX5, they've spent 15 years developing parts for the car.

Front

Rear

Looks interesting Juzzy :blink:

Should I try it out when I'm back at Tony's (post new springs) then we can have a full review :blink:

Front

Rear

I have set a few to these positions.... are they Lannys?

The camber settings are conservative for tyre wear and the rear invites under-steer..... The extended Castor provides steering feed back and high speed security.... Toe Positive (total) at 1.75 to 3.4 mm adds to 'turn in' response... a nice over-all package.

I was just trying to work out how 1.5degrees -ve camber is 'conservative for tyre wear'.

On the MX5 the camber positions are 'trim height' dependant, a rear trim of between 346-355mm would realise a natural -1 deg 14' taken as 60'/1 deg...... the scale shown 100'/1 deg converts to 1deg 30' at 60'/1 deg so the extra 16' is conservative and result in little tyre wear.

• 2 months later...
Interesting reading Tony, I know a few are interested in moving over to these settings.

I having a look into these but Im very happy with mine at the moment.

What would be interesting is an MX5OC set-up, by example? Then categorize them into domestic, fast road and race.. establish proven positions for the club and club members. wim has explored many positions for the members but other than the visible praise in the club nothing is published (Geometrically)

Whist wim is within STS then we have an opportunity to explore set-ups. When wim is transported into the wim/tdi collaboration this privilege will be lost..... Reads odd :lol: Actually no? Exploration with set-ups would never normally be so open in any company, expertise comes with a price tag, that's business!

I would like to ascertain the best for all parties and transport the results now into the catalogue format mentioned above.