Any rally drivers here?

Hi everyone , back after a long hiatus. I'm rallying a FordKa in the Irish forestry championship , just wondering if any of you are doing similar , I'd like to bat a few ideas re suspension geometry around .

Thanks , T.

Hello....... How adjustable have you made the car?

Hi Tony , the ride height , bump and rebound are all adjustable , as it runs ProFlex 2 way adjustable coilovers. The front wishbones and top mounts , plus the rear axle beam mounts are all either solid or spherical bearing.

Front camber is not so easily adjustable to be honest , it runs about 1 degree negative each side. The rear is the same . I've fitted shims between the rear hubs and axle to correct the rear toe. Which is set to total of 2mm toe in. I've modified the front top mounts and bottom balljoints so I can correct the caster , not sure of the actual value ,apart from the fact it's equal both sides.

The front toe is about 3mm total toe in , more than I'd like but the car has a lot of bump steer , it toes out about 30-40 mins on compression .

Previously I had 2mm toe out up front , but the car was unstable on high speed bumpy stuff . I hadn't measured the bump steer at that stage ..

The toe gain on bump is a real issue...... Having the car to low will change the wishbone/ steering arm radii, roll centre adjusters would be a wise move.

the wishbone is pretty close to where it would be on a road car , as I need reasonable ground clearance for the forest tracks . RCAs... are they they units that you fit to the baLLjoint Tony?

Thanks for your replies btw.

It would be easier to relocate the steering arm height, moving the ball joint is a whole can-O-worms. Most bump-steer adjusters work at the TRE pick up point.

yeah that would suit me better too , for wheel clearance issues . I was thinking of using a Rosejoint instead of a track rod end , and maybe attaching it to the bottom of the steering arm instead of the top?

in general , are there any guidlines for rack position and steering arm angle and it's effect on bump steer? I have to sort it out on one of Dad's classic , his Lancia 037 , too .

Look at the position of the connection point of this track rod end

post-2-1302161823.jpg

Since the point ( pin ) is not vertical, on bump it will allow massive toe out. Bump steer adjusters allow the point to be relaxed or change the height of the point.

Look at the position of the connection point of this track rod end

post-2-1302161823.jpg

Since the point ( pin ) is not vertical, on bump it will allow massive toe out. Bump steer adjusters allow the point to be relaxed or change the height of the point.

just trying to picture the movement in my head.. is that rack mounted behind the wheel?

200SX and yes.... This baby is set for Drifting and as low as Grammars nipples. The steering arm is perpendicular and the steering pick up point also perpendicular, rather than at rest, static.

The position of the PUP ( Pick up point ) can be changed vertically or transversely depending on the complaint, your complaint would be vertical since you have a roll centre issue on bump.

first off , I'm rallying this weekend , so it'll wait til next week! lol

I'll make a dummy TRE , using flat bar and a nut, to simulate a rose joint , and try it Under the steering arm , to see what effect .

You need to make the angle of the steering arm the same as the wishbone while at rest and the PUP on the steering arm vertical, this will give you +- toe gains on bump/ droop.

From this platform ( neutral ) it's reasonably easy to work out/ see the gains on bump/ droop/ transition. Personally i feel for hill/ trial/ climb and short track you need a negative migration on bump and transition, but remember on high rated coils you won't get much from relaxed PUP's.

no , it's just that it is designed that way from Ford!

my post is a bit misleading , I just had a sh1t day , service crew got delayed , navigator got mixed up on the pacenotes , then I broke a CV joint , got going again , only for the oil light to come on. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrghhh...