Shockers

gr4h4m

Is there a test for shockers? I know the MOT man is just looking for a leak, however how do you know when they are past their best?

I still have an issue with a vibrations at speed on the motorway I can feel it through the floor and the steering wheel. I have had ball joints checked and geo re-done and brake reaction bushes changed. Its an annoying vibration, I was thinking that the shockers might not be keeping the wheel under control at speed. Anyone have any tests, as the 1970's bounce test doesnt seem to do much these days.

Thanks

Graham

ok I have taken notice today:

- you can feel it at low speeds its more intense at higher speeds

- It feels like you can feel the road surface through the floor and wheel

- I have pumped the tyres up to BMW door specs so 35 from 42 rear and the effect is better (so less)

- The rougher the surface the worse it is, the car was much better coming home than going?

maybe its the effect of the 18" wheels and low profile tyres and harder poly bushes?

I jacked the car up and cant see and movement on the bottom ball joints with a bar under the tyre, if there is any I'm not seeing its nothing like the youtube vids.

Maybe its something I have to live with..

Nope you cant drive through it. The car has had a few problems that I have slowly got the the problem of over the last 12 months, Tram-lining, brake judder, springs snapping(In the middle), new wheels as I had some small buckles in the old ones.. So as the problems have been got rid of this has been left so to speak. I noticed it as my wifes car doesn't do it (z4). Its a difficult one, but then its an old car. I wonder if replacing all these parts is just showing up worn parts further down the line no matter how small?

When did the problem start and can you drive through the vibration.