MR2 geometry...sorted

Jap Devil

I've just had the geometry checked and adjusted - how would you say this compares with the custom settings you recommended?

Another problem came to light at the front - there is only 5-6mm between the inner tyre wall and the coilover spring, which looked to have been rubbing slightly when the tyre was under load. I guess I'll need to fit wheel spacers, but how wide? Does this mean I'll also need to fit extended studs?

GeoMR2.jpg

Have you had the camber adjuster bolts fitted?

No, since the rear camber was achieved with the standard bolt and fitting the bolts to the front would have reduced the gap between the tyre wall and the spring (unless I'm missing something :lol: )

I don't really want to drive the car until I can get the problem addressed, last thing I want is a blowout in the Ring @ 120mph

I'm not happy.... this space, is it between the base of the lower coil cup, or the main body of the shaft.

It's the gap between the base of the lower end of the spring and the top part of the inner tyre wall.

I'd get a picture but it's impossible without getting right underneath the car

Found these:

H&R Hubcentric wheel spacers

They tell me that a pair of 15mm hubcentric spacers will cure the problem!

I'm not happy.... this space, is it between the base of the lower coil cup, or the main body of the shaft.

It's the gap between the base of the lower end of the spring and the top part of the inner tyre wall.

Found these:

You do realise this will change the 'scrub radius' so your new geometry will be void.

Found these:

You do realise this will change the 'scrub radius' so your new geometry will be void.

Yes - but better than suffering a high speed blowout!

Found these:

Yes - but better than suffering a high speed blowout!

Mike i need a picture (image) of the problem is this posible?

It's going to be very difficult to get a picture of this - we only noticed it when the car was up on the ramp and we were able to inspect the wheels from below / inside.

I can try asking the guys a favour and see if they'll ramp the car up for me again to take a piccy.

• 3 weeks later...
It's going to be very difficult to get a picture of this - we only noticed it when the car was up on the ramp and we were able to inspect the wheels from below / inside.

I can try asking the guys a favour and see if they'll ramp the car up for me again to take a piccy.

How are things going with this project?

A bit busy moving house at the moment...spacers will be fitted soon!

Best of luck with the move.... 'stress' at the max!.... you realise the SR will need to be re-calculated after the spacers are fitted :P ....... Mike you are an ideal candidate for the ARIGO Geometry machine... it will save me hours ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Bump

Today i set a 94 SW20 on coil-overs for the ring with simalare problems.

The front tyres are 205-50/15, wheel 6" with a 45mm off-set, 3mm spacers.

Initial complaint was 'vibration' at speed and 'slight' rubbing between the nsf tyre wall and the coil.

Previous Geometry displayed front ns camber -45' osf -29'

Conclusion and solution

The vibration is the 3mm spacer moving the wheel away from the hubs natural male spigot ring... in essence the wheel was not hub central.

The wheel off-set, ride height and camber position allowed the rub.

Solution

Remove the spacers and move the camber position positive to belay the rubbing... but this is not without consequence...

The car now has a rear set to over-steer and a front to under-steer.... my only option was to 'vice-versa' the toe positions to compensate, this configuration i am not happy with but when given an order you can only reply with the ingredients available.

I will keep you up-dated with the track day conclusion.

One other thing to bear in mind tony is that these cars change ends more than most and quite often the steering gear has taken a battering.

If they're complaining about vibration and you can't seem to spot why a 9-3oclock test will reveal any play in the system. It's quite common for the inner ball joint on the steering arm to fail leaving 5mm of play or so.

One other thing to bear in mind tony is that these cars change ends more than most and quite often the steering gear has taken a battering.

If they're complaining about vibration and you can't seem to spot why a 9-3oclock test will reveal any play in the system. It's quite common for the inner ball joint on the steering arm to fail leaving 5mm of play or so.

Thanks... (noted)

• 1 month later...

First off i'd like to say a big thank you to Tony for setting up my car, the quality of his workmanship and attention to detail is admirable.

I am the person with the 94 sw20 Tony setup back in May, and I must say I’ve been very impressed with how the car now handles.

When I first drove off I noticed how much weightier the steering was, but most importantly it was now consistent, where as before it would sometimes be light and easy in one direction and heavy in another.

However the real test came when I went around the nurburgring a couple of weeks ago. The car felt great, only my second visit there (or to any track for that matter), I’ve got to say the car felt very stable when hitting bumps in the track at 130-140. As the day went on I started to get a feel for what I’d like next, which would be better turn in (which I know is restricted by my coilover springs atm), as I was having to force it into some of the corners, although understeer wasn't to much of a problem as I could use the power of the car to force it around Also possibly some more grip at the rear as it felt a bit to lively.

Managed 9:13 in the end (although my last lap would have been 9:06 without the accident on the track), just kept getting faster as I learnt the track, only things that we're really going faster we're GT3's, M3's and a couple of bikers also on road legal slicks. Got it in Video, so might see if I can put it on the net when I get a card to upload it to the computer :lol:

First off i'd like to say a big thank you to Tony for setting up my car, the quality of his workmanship and attention to detail is admirable.

I am the person with the 94 sw20 Tony setup back in May, and I must say I’ve been very impressed with how the car now handles.

When I first drove off I noticed how much weightier the steering was, but most importantly it was now consistent, where as before it would sometimes be light and easy in one direction and heavy in another.

However the real test came when I went around the nurburgring a couple of weeks ago. The car felt great, only my second visit there (or to any track for that matter), I’ve got to say the car felt very stable when hitting bumps in the track at 130-140. As the day went on I started to get a feel for what I’d like next, which would be better turn in (which I know is restricted by my coilover springs atm), as I was having to force it into some of the corners, although understeer wasn't to much of a problem as I could use the power of the car to force it around Also possibly some more grip at the rear as it felt a bit to lively.

Managed 9:13 in the end (although my last lap would have been 9:06 without the accident on the track), just kept getting faster as I learnt the track, only things that we're really going faster we're GT3's, M3's and a couple of bikers also on road legal slicks. Got it in Video, so might see if I can put it on the net when I get a card to upload it to the computer :lol:

Absolutely top feedback.. Thank You!!!!.... Now you have experienced the drive we have an opportunity to develop your needs Geometrically, this is something i cannot do on any initial set-up, yes we can summarize but ultimately it's down to the drivers feedback, this communication finalizes the set-up :D oh and 9:13 is quite an achievement :D