Toe out in turns exploration

Tony

Right, i have had a bath and a doodle on my note pad (all the best ideas happen here) and by my reckoning, if the rack is located behind the axle line, moving the rack rearwards would achive your objective.

As a consequence, moving the TRE forward should have the same effect.

I should probably patent my idea!!, but my initial thoughts are a bracket thats utilises the existing tapered hole to secure the bracket to the steering arm, call it what you will.

Attached to this bracket would be a bolt/threaded bar with lock nuts, which would clamp a rose joint screwed to the end of the track rod. The rose joint could then be adjusted fore aft and locked in the correct position.

Not a great description i know, a drawing would be preferable.

Couple of potential flaws however! It relies on the taper to hold solid under turning forces. A taper (morse) should be capable of transmitting large rotational forces, but i don't know if its size is large enough in this application. I have also assumed that the rose joint is capable of enough angle to allow this to work. Could be mounted the other way, but this then would involve a clamping arrangemet to prevent movement after adjustment.

I dreamed up this idea because it would not be vehicle specific. A couple of variations in size could cover a multitude of vehicles.

Are you able to work out in mm how far you would need to move the joint on a typical application to achive the objective?

Right, i have had a bath and a doodle on my note pad (all the best ideas happen here) and by my reckoning, if the rack is located behind the axle line, moving the rack rearwards would achive your objective.

As a consequence, moving the TRE forward should have the same effect.

I should probably patent my idea!!, but my initial thoughts are a bracket thats utilises the existing tapered hole to secure the bracket to the steering arm, call it what you will.

Attached to this bracket would be a bolt/threaded bar with lock nuts, which would clamp a rose joint screwed to the end of the track rod. The rose joint could then be adjusted fore aft and locked in the correct position.

Not a great description i know, a drawing would be preferable.

Couple of potential flaws however! It relies on the taper to hold solid under turning forces. A taper (morse) should be capable of transmitting large rotational forces, but i don't know if its size is large enough in this application. I have also assumed that the rose joint is capable of enough angle to allow this to work. Could be mounted the other way, but this then would involve a clamping arrangemet to prevent movement after adjustment.

I dreamed up this idea because it would not be vehicle specific. A couple of variations in size could cover a multitude of vehicles.

Are you able to work out in mm how far you would need to move the joint on a typical application to achive the objective?

I can image your idea, pen and paper needs some commitment obviously, if you can develop some sketches that would complete the image and help in this priminilary stage. Practicality regarding stress testing, dynamics and feasibility would be tested out of house, tdiplc with their additional Prodrive success i am sure could support your idea.... If proven who knows :huh:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/lachlan/tech/rosejoint.html

okay so its a modification to the control arms but I guess its similar in principle.

Interesting article but the engineering of the steering arc will need much thought.... In truth if this venture was easy then it would already exist.. I have my reasons for wanting this evolution, Roder440 has some design ideas and i am sure tdiplc would assist in the testing area... With team work i hope that by next season we would have constructed this vital 'must have' component for the expanding realm of Drifting.

I'l sort something out for you Tony. Might be a few days, its a bit manic at the moment - im surrounded by broken engines!!

Broken is good assuming your task is to mend :o This TOOT evolution is vital to Drift as i am sure you are aware. I personally do not have the ability to explore the development further other than recognizing the need.

With cooperation maybe we could develop the first wim product?

this lot www.performancetrends.com have a piece of software that allows the simulation and visualization of suspension systems.

There software has time limited demo modes.

I have seen this software and it is very impressive for the chassis engineer/ developer but not entirely suitable for the mainstream domestic market.... In truth it's more complicated than Geometry itself :P