Porsche Problems

Hi again Tony, am hoping you can help but had a Porsche I set up quite a few months ago now (October time ish) which has scrubbed insides of both front tyres. Am yet to see the car so am going on customers descriptions here. Apparently both rears fine only fronts. i know for certain that the vehicle was setup to manufacturers settings (your probably cringing already). Since setting this car up I have continued to try and learn as much as i can about geometry setups and came to the conclusion that setting the front wheels to manufacturers settings on a high performance rear wheel drive car is a bad idea due to the forces exerted on the front wheels whilst under load (not static) which if im thinking right gives the front wheels a toe out whilst moving explaining the inside tyre wear? so to resolve this problem would setting the front wheels to a slight toe in from manufacturers settings give a closer to desired result and if so how much is acceptable. :angry:

Customizing the setup depends on the level of wear and the actual figures measured, if for example you can see the wear is camber but the actual figures are at spec then yes customize the settings, it's also wise at this moment to only use the manufactures tolerances.

Some makes of cars have known defects so over time you learn to automatically use a custom setup, i do this for some BMW's, Honda's, Merc's, Vauxhalls and so on.......

Customizing the setup depends on the level of wear and the actual figures measured, if for example you can see the wear is camber but the actual figures are at spec then yes customize the settings, it's also wise at this moment to only use the manufactures tolerances.

Some makes of cars have known defects so over time you learn to automatically use a custom setup, i do this for some BMW's, Honda's, Merc's, Vauxhalls and so on.......

To be honest i think is a combination of both being out, is worn in a sloped fashion treads ranging from 0 on inside to about 6 on outside. (if was specifically camber wear is generally confined to a small part of tyre ie shoulder area?) done a test on geometry which gave some pretty interesting readings.

To be honest i think is a combination of both being out, is worn in a sloped fashion treads ranging from 0 on inside to about 6 on outside. (if was specifically camber wear is generally confined to a small part of tyre ie shoulder area?) done a test on geometry which gave some pretty interesting readings.

What "interesting readings"?

What "interesting readings"?

Tony sorry havent got back for so long, unfortunatelly this car resulted in replacing front tyres and we never got a chance to recity the geometry issue, (went to Porsche for setup) the interesting readings were that originally when car came in the front cambers were within spec but when it came back had both fallen apprx -.25 degrees and caused that amount of wear?? seemed a bit strange to have caused the amount of wear it had!

Point to note is performance cars have very little tolerance so any deviation will cause untold wear....... Some of the Ferrari's and Lambo's i set have no tolerance at all :smile_anim:

What the public and centres need to remember is for the average family car to handle at the level owners expect, the chassis is highly tuned, what years ago used to be parallel give or take a foot is now parallel give or take a 10th of a millimetre.