Circuit de Ecuyers

hms

Just back from a short trip to France,went out for a track day at the Circuit de Ecuyers, just south of Rheims. Great new circuit, only one long straight but lots of corners, ideal for a 5. Took me half the morning to learn the course. Was run by Lotus on Track, well organised, relaxed day, great fun. Half of the crowd were French/Dutch and were interested in Lexie as 5's are not common there.

Unfortunately I was having problems with Lexie so couldn't give it the beans, but a great day anyway. I wold love to do this in the Hornet.

Video here:

th_EcuyersAug21st09.jpg

Rheims also has an old Grand Prix circuit, (Circuit de Gueux) which is on public roads, and the stands and pits still exist, very atmospheric. There are a cuple of roundabouts now that weren't there originally, and the top part of the course is now a major road, but as you turn off that on to the pit straight, (where the video starts, off to the right you can see the old road joining the new straight.

Video of the course here:

th_CircuitdeGueux.jpg

Plus I managed a visit to the Mumm Champagen House, hic!

h

I had two coolant leaks, one on one of the heater hoses which was a bodged fit, managed to stop that, the second is, I think, a leak in the rad.

Having had one of the heater hoses go on me, I didn't want that to happen again where I could not easily fix it. (I know I could have put the engine input to output and bypass the heater, it's not an easy job on a 5 due to restricted space!) So I took it nice and easy, still melted the tyres though!

th_IMG_2802.jpg

Ended up with two nice big rubber bands of tyre around the front wheels.

Looking now for a nice new rad and hoses now.

h

To be honest Tony, don't know.

Was concentrating on hitting the turn-ins and apex's, althought there were a couple of points where it was understeering, usually at the 'B%**^' point where I missed the turn in which in turn screwed the exit, which screwed entry to the next corner!

h