Front brake caliper position

There is a direct correlation between the position of the brake caliper and the type of drive the car has...

Most: FWD have the caliper at the front of the disc.

Most: RWD have the caliper at the rear of the disc.

WHY!

I understand that there are Kinetic forces involved but i still cannot find a absolute reason for these deliberate manufactured positions.....

If there is no direct reason then why do Super cars have split brake systems :D

Nosedive and positive loading at the coils exists in both formats.. I can only assume the kinetic direction is deliberate (up or down) any thoughts....

i've often wondered this too, i thought it was to eliminate nose diving under braking afirst but then realised it doesnt matter where the caliper is its still stopping the same disc that is rotating the same way, so there must be another reason.

maybe to clear other items such as steering racks? bmw and ford (sierra granada etc) have the racks at the front and the calipers towards the rear

i've often wondered this too, i thought it was to eliminate nose diving under braking afirst but then realised it doesnt matter where the caliper is its still stopping the same disc that is rotating the same way, so there must be another reason.

maybe to clear other items such as steering racks? bmw and ford (sierra granada etc) have the racks at the front and the calipers towards the rear

Not quite.. in the equation there is the cars inertia then the braking force then the reactive force...

My mind suggests that if the caliper is in front of the disc then the brake/inertia/reactive force should compress directly at the tyre.... whereas if the caliper is behind then the brake/inertia/reactive force would be directed initially positively at the suspension.

The steering rack is as you suggest a visible combination i don't feel comfortable assuming the caliper position is just for convenience during development, i hope there is more to the story.

I'd have hoped the geometry expert would have come up with something simple like FF needs a greater KPI needing the caliper at the front or some such.

I guess the ideal would be to always have the caliper closer to the center of the car, so where possible i expect it's mounted towards the middle of the car.

For reference, my MR2 is the classic center, however my FF Civic Type R has the front calipers mounted to the rear, as well as the rear calipers.

I'd have hoped the geometry expert would have come up with something simple like FF needs a greater KPI needing the caliper at the front or some such.

I guess the ideal would be to always have the caliper closer to the center of the car, so where possible i expect it's mounted towards the middle of the car.

For reference, my MR2 is the classic center, however my FF Civic Type R has the front calipers mounted to the rear, as well as the rear calipers.

The reason i ask is i was helping in the development of a kit car manufacturer and the design was

RWD:

Front calipers: At the front of the discs

Steering rack: Behind the wheels

I mentioned this configuration looked wrong, he said 'why?' but i had no reply it just looks wrong.

Oddly enough the handling problems the car had was due to the kpi being to inclined.

The reason i ask is i was helping in the development of a kit car manufacturer and the design was

RWD:

Front calipers: At the front of the discs

Steering rack: Behind the wheels

I mentioned this configuration looked wrong, he said 'why?' but i had no reply it just looks wrong.

Oddly enough the handling problems the car had was due to the kpi being to inclined.

[/quote

• 3 weeks later...