How much weight is too much?

Luch

I have estimated the weight of one of my tyres (175/60R14) to be close to 7-8 Kg. How much weight is required to balance it? Why if the weight is too much a vibration on the steering wheel is still felt even if the balancer shows that the assembly is perfectly balanced? I am assuming that the car is fine.

I have estimated the weight of one of my tyres (175/60R14) to be close to 7-8 Kg. How much weight is required to balance it? Why if the weight is too much a vibration on the steering wheel is still felt even if the balancer shows that the assembly is perfectly balanced? I am assuming that the car is fine.

7-8 Kg is very low in mass to require excessive corrective compensation... There are three main areas that may realise a reason

1:- Operator error = poor workmanship

2:- Calibration error= poor maintenance

3:- Manufacturer error: = wheel centre not centred or designed for the balance's dye

I think the rims, original Daihatsu alloys, are alright as didn't have vibration with the old tyres (Bridgestone Potenza). I have fitted now Nankang EX601, however they have been balanced with a lot of weight. Front near side 60gr, front off side 75gr, while the rears have 20gr and 40gr. Still had a bit of vibration which was cured as soon as front and rear wheels were swapped. Take into account that this is a light car (about 950Kg) and seems sensitive to vibration. The balancing was done on a Hunter GSP9700 as normal balancers have failed. :)

I think the rims, original Daihatsu alloys, are alright as didn't have vibration with the old tyres (Bridgestone Potenza). I have fitted now Nankang EX601, however they have been balanced with a lot of weight. Front near side 60gr, front off side 75gr, while the rears have 20gr and 40gr. Still had a bit of vibration which was cured as soon as front and rear wheels were swapped. Take into account that this is a light car (about 950Kg) and seems sensitive to vibration. The balancing was done on a Hunter GSP9700 as normal balancers have failed. :)

In your particular case the reason for the vibration has been 1+2 since the GSP9700 solved the problem...

Tyre manufacturing does vary in results according to the make of tyre.. The cheaper tyre tends to require more compensation... The reason i intend to explain in full as a wim knowledge topic very soon.