Horror of the week 1-6-6

Tony

Vehicle: LDV

Position: NSR

Reason: Casing contamination

post-2-1149158831_thumb.jpg

This condition respects no make or size of tyre.. The reason is a simple cut into the outer casing allowing water to rust the wire belts!..... Over time the constant flexing acting on the rusted strands progressively brakes them, assisted by the relentless air pressure.

Symptoms: As the tyre distorts there would be an evident low speed (under 30mph) wobble from the rear, as speed increases the tyre will ride the high spots and belay any wobble.... over time the -30mph serves as a warning.... continue to ignore it then eventually it will blow out.

post-2-1149159476_thumb.jpg

This particular blowout was so violent that the separation of the tread literally tore the sidewalls apart as seen from the tear.....

So what can we learn from this example..... If a wobble or vibration is evident under 30mph then reason is either the wheel is about to come off or a tyre has distorted.

Blimey its scary what can happen :)

I guess a lot of us just presume that if the tyre has tread and the sidewalls look ok then all is fine, just goes to show what can happen if you don't throughly check them regularly B)

*As Janey runs out to check Mabels feet* :huh:

i had to buy tyres a few weeks ago, i was driving home from work and could hear a clicking noise coming from the passenger rear, i thought it was a stone in the tread so i pulled into a layby, and had an m8 bolt (8mm thick) straight through the centre of the tyre. 2 new rear tyres please :o