Diesel Tuning

voicey

Hi guys,

After you helped me out with my steering problem I've been a regular visitor to this forum and have been reading up with great interest. I have been particularly impressed with the TDI threads on engine tuning so I thought I'd post with an engine tuning query of my own.

I have a Peugeot 406 Coupe with a 2.2 HDI engine (I've heard all the diesel jokes before but feel free to take the mick! ;) ). It puts out 136bhp/315nm and although it performs well on the motorway the acceleration leaves a little to be desired (my unmodded Peugeot 306 1.8 16v is blistering around town in comparison). I've been thinking about getting it tuned up and would welcome the thoughts of an expert.

First of all, how is the extra power developed? It is claimed I can get another 40bhp/80nm. My assumption is that they just turn up the turbo but there must be more to it than that!

Also, would a remap materially affect the longevitiy of my engine? Are there any other dangers I should be aware of?

Finally, what sort of system is best - an actual ecu remap or a bolt on box of tricks?

Thanking you very kindly in advance. :thumbsup_anim:

Hi Voicey,

Nice to hear from you :thumbsup_anim:

Turbo diesel engines can respond extemely well to tuning.

What we call the PSA Group (Peugeot/Citroen) have a large variety of ECU configurations fitted as standard, so therefore several aftermarket solutions are available depending on what you have as standard, so you may need an OBD2 reflash, A BDM reflash, a chip or a piggy back ecu.

We have been evaluating standard ECU tuning solutions for quite a while and have concluded that it's a very hit and miss affair for customers to choose from.

Most of the companies that offer this sort of thing tend to be orientated towards electronics with very little understanding of engine dynamics so they tend to take the path of least resistance and opt for simply raising the boost pressure, or raising the fuel pressure. This can be harmful and certainly is not what would be considered to be "tuning".

As I mentioned, we have been working on this for quite a while and I have seen turbo diesel cars make more power using the standard boost pressue but with proper tuning, than the same model of car that has been "chipped" with higher boost and/or fuel pressure.

We will be releasing a proper tuning solution for many standard ecu's in the very near future, hopefully before Christmas.

We'll make an announcement on our forum so please look out for that.

Thanks ;)

It's more a case of identifying which of the methods will work. The first thing to do is to identify which standard ECU you have.

I see! How easy is it to do this? Can I look under the bonnet or do you need to plug it into a computer?

Cheers...

It's more a case of identifying which of the methods will work. The first thing to do is to identify which standard ECU you have.

I see! How easy is it to do this? Can I look under the bonnet or do you need to plug it into a computer?

Cheers...

We need to identify the make and number of the ECU (Bosch, Siemens etc etc)

We need to identify the make and number of the ECU (Bosch, Siemens etc etc)

I had a squizz under the bonnet today.....

IMG00075.jpg

IMG00073.jpg

The picture isn't too great but the ECU number is 0 281 010 878. Does this get me any further in my quest for more power? Once again, cheers... :D