New Brakes and servicing MR2.

The MR2 needs some new brakes, the old disks have quite a lip and i can hear one of them rubbing slightly when i turn left, possibly the rear n/s but perhaps the front one, so they need replacing sooner rather than later.

I'm not sure what to go for. The standard ones seem to stop ok if you slam the pedal to the floor but otherwise they seem to lack a bit of confidence, ie you know they will stop pretty well, but it would be nice if you could feel that they definatly will.

I had red stuff on my soarer and they stopped very quickly and i was happy with them, slightly wooden when cold in winter but as long as they still stop well that is fine. They gave out only a small amount of dust and i never had problems with fade in general driving or stopping 2 tonnes in an emergency stop either (if your van is 2 times as wide as the central reservation and there is nowhere to go on the other side, dont pull out accross 40mph traffic then block off the road :huh: .) So i am thinking of trying a set of those. They will work out a little under £100 for front and rear.

I plan on a set of standard toyota disks, but are they about £300 for the set of 4 for a rev 3? :D . That would be about £400, then i have to find someone to fit them ;) . Also is it worth fitting some braided brake lines, say goodridge, they are pretty good value from brakes4u, its just that i would have to wait for them to be made. Then when the disks and pads are replaced have the fluid replaced and blead through so its fresh, braided hoses or not.

The car also needs an oil and filter change, and if its not too much then i was thinking of getting the spark plugs done as well, as i didnt notice them being changed recently in the history so if they are about £40-£50 fitted it would be worthwhile perhaps? Also is it worth changing the fuel filter? I think the air filter is some green cotton thing, so not sure whether to put an original one back in or not?

What do you guys think. I gather Jon will know a fair bit, although i believe he is not particularly a Red Stuff fan.

I posted this bit seperately so the first post (wasnt quite so) long.

I think suspension struts may have to wait a while. How much do you think fresh struts and springs

would improve the ride if the old ones were worn, and how much would they cost.

And do you know anywhere in north yorkshire area that could do it reasonably cheaply. IE not £120 just for an oil change from toyota .

Lastly for now, what would be a good oil to use. I think it has 10w40 at the moment and the engine had some kind of treatment just before i bought it, but is it best to go semi or fully synth. Its a n/a so there is no turbo to lubricate.

Thanks, Mark.