Question after alignment

Hi,

I have just had an alignment done using a Pro-Align SPACE 800, I gave the mechanic the required specs for the vehicle (350z) as the machine did not have the car in its database.

After getting my printout i have noticed that the Rim Diam is down as 14" where as my car has 18" wheels

Will this make a difference to the measurements taken? all readings on the sheet are in degrees and minutes, apart from the toe which is in mm.

Thanks

MrRoper

Hi,

I have just had an alignment done using a Pro-Align SPACE 800, I gave the mechanic the required specs for the vehicle (350z) as the machine did not have the car in its database.

After getting my printout i have noticed that the Rim Diam is down as 14" where as my car has 18" wheels

Will this make a difference to the measurements taken? all readings on the sheet are in degrees and minutes, apart from the toe which is in mm.

Thanks

MrRoper

Yes it will... All machines require and image of the car in 3D so that the cameras can place themselves in a Horizontal, Longitudinal and Vertical plane, the wheel Diameter, wheel width and track form this image.

In short the Geometry and any corrections were worthless................ sorry.

Hi,

Thanks

MrRoper

Yes it will... All machines require and image of the car in 3D so that the cameras can place themselves in a Horizontal, Longitudinal and Vertical plane, the wheel Diameter, wheel width and track form this image.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply, the unit seemed to be just a 4 wheel laser alignment system, would this still make a difference, as the arms with the lasers on didnt seem adjustable (Sorry about my limited knowlede on the whole alignment can of worms!)

This alignment was done at one of the trusted center`s on your site, I pressume i can call them and ask them to realign with the correct wheel diameter FOC?

Are the readings likely to be out by much? IS the car still ok to drive?

Thanks

Chris

Hi,

Thanks

MrRoper

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply, the unit seemed to be just a 4 wheel laser alignment system, would this still make a difference, as the arms with the lasers on didnt seem adjustable (Sorry about my limited knowlede on the whole alignment can of worms!)

This alignment was done at one of the trusted center`s on your site, I pressume i can call them and ask them to realign with the correct wheel diameter FOC?

Are the readings likely to be out by much? IS the car still ok to drive?

Thanks

Chris

Please don't ever feel the need to apologize when the talk is Geometry.... this forum is designed explicitly for people like yourself to ask questions 'live'.

The 350z has a 'stand alone' new Geometry..... the positions are not born from previous 'proven' examples, unfortunately things have not gone swimmingly...for this reason the data has been subject to change and limited in availability......The centre in question phoned me today for your cars data since this was not available to them (fair play) nevertheless the operator has made a mistake and the results void.

In the short term the car is safe to drive since the incorrect positions should be symmetrical, in the long term the tyres will wear!

If you feel unhappy about contacting the centre i will do it for you.... in this event can you pm me your name, the cars index and a contact number.

Hi Tony,

I have no problems contacting the Center on Monday, They were very polite and helpful. And as we all know mistakes do happen.

If you dont mind i will mention that i have discussed this with you and you have advised I need a re-align with the correct wheel diameter. (Do they need to know anything else)?

I will let you know, if i have any problems but i am sure everyhting will be fine.

Many Thanks

Hi Tony,

I have no problems contacting the Center on Monday, They were very polite and helpful. And as we all know mistakes do happen.

If you dont mind i will mention that i have discussed this with you and you have advised I need a re-align with the correct wheel diameter. (Do they need to know anything else)?

I will let you know, if i have any problems but i am sure everyhting will be fine.

Many Thanks

Feel free to mention wim and our conversation, Paul ownes the centre if possible talk to him. This is a simple operator error but damaging if not addressed.

Paul has my number but if you have any immediate needs contact me at work 01923 234666 and i will assist!

Hi Tony,

Many Thanks

Feel free to mention wim and our conversation, Paul ownes the centre if possible talk to him. This is a simple operator error but damaging if not addressed.

Paul has my number but if you have any immediate needs contact me at work 01923 234666 and i will assist!

Hi Tony,

I spoke to paul this morning, who said that although the printout said 14" the machine will have been set to 18". Is this possible?

thanks

Chris

Hi Tony,

Many Thanks

Hi Tony,

I spoke to paul this morning, who said that although the printout said 14" the machine will have been set to 18". Is this possible?

thanks

Chris

Unlikely.... since the machine did not hold the data for your car on disc, then the data would have been input as 'missing'.... the machine then will set to default and require the cars dimensions as mentioned before.... 14" is the default......... if the printout displays 'before and after' measurements then i feel this is based on the visible wheel diameter...

Hi Tony,

Many Thanks

Hi Tony,

thanks

Chris

Unlikely.... since the machine did not hold the data for your car on disc, then the data would have been input as 'missing'.... the machine then will set to default and require the cars dimensions as mentioned before.... 14" is the default......... if the printout displays 'before and after' measurements then i feel this is based on the visible wheel diameter...

Tony

Thanks for the reply,

The printout displays Diagnosis and Adjustment (before and after) but no nominal values (because the settings were not on file I presume) The mesurements were not way out +2.9 on LF +0.3 on RF adjusted to +70 on each (at my request)

rears were -2.5 RR and -0.30 LR adjusted to +1 on each

Paul did say that the machine automatically will detect the wheel size, and adjust accordingly, I have two new front tires that he is going to fit for me on Wednesday.

Should I demand a re-alignment? I dont want to cause a fuss, as he has been helpful. And i need a reliable alignment guy!

Would it be possible for you to give him a bell tomorrow, and let me know what he said?

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Tony,

Many Thanks

Hi Tony,

thanks

Chris

Tony

Thanks for the reply,

The printout displays Diagnosis and Adjustment (before and after) but no nominal values (because the settings were not on file I presume) The mesurements were not way out +2.9 on LF +0.3 on RF adjusted to +70 on each (at my request)

rears were -2.5 RR and -0.30 LR adjusted to +1 on each

Paul did say that the machine automatically will detect the wheel size, and adjust accordingly, I have two new front tires that he is going to fit for me on Wednesday.

Should I demand a re-alignment? I dont want to cause a fuss, as he has been helpful. And i need a reliable alignment guy!

Would it be possible for you to give him a bell tomorrow, and let me know what he said?

Many thanks

Chris

I will contact Paul and conclude this.... the machine in question i have never used so the 'matter of fact' it's wrong or it's ok i cannot in truth comment on, and this makes me nervous, for the customers sake i have to argue it's wrong no matter who set it!

Don't worry it will be sorted!

Hi,

Thanks

MrRoper

I spoke to Paul, the 14' diameter is 'default' if the car is measured as 'missing data'. He assures me the cameras 'scale' the wheels diameter automatically in this mode or it can be set manually. Nevertheless when you go back for the tyres the car will be re-measured to give you peace of mind.

Typical friendly conversation with Paul and he understood why you felt unhappy with printout.

Let us know how things go :huh:

Hi,

Thanks

MrRoper

I spoke to Paul, the 14' diameter is 'default' if the car is measured as 'missing data'. He assures me the cameras 'scale' the wheels diameter automatically in this mode or it can be set manually. Nevertheless when you go back for the tyres the car will be re-measured to give you peace of mind.

Typical friendly conversation with Paul and he understood why you felt unhappy with printout.

Thanks Tony,

Its much appreciated that you spoke to Paul, I am sure everything will be fine. The service at Dury lane was excellent and I would be happy to recommend them, my last alignment done at the local tyre fitters was a mess so I am sure you appreciate my concerns

Thanks on some excellent advice and congratulations on an excellent website that has given me a good insight into the black art of car alignment!

Will let you know how it goes :)

Hi,

Thanks

MrRoper

Thanks Tony,

Its much appreciated that you spoke to Paul, I am sure everything will be fine. The service at Dury lane was excellent and I would be happy to recommend them, my last alignment done at the local tyre fitters was a mess so I am sure you appreciate my concerns

Thanks on some excellent advice and congratulations on an excellent website that has given me a good insight into the black art of car alignment!

Will let you know how it goes :)

You are welcome....... team work and technical support is all it takes.