Track Days at Anglesey and Blyton

kgh

I took the MX5 to Anglesey on 6th March with some of the Nutzers.

With more front camber and higher tyre pressures I hoped that the tyre wear on the R888s would be reduced. Unfortunately the plan didn't work. The tyre wear in the middle of the outside half of the tread was slightly less pronounced because it was over a slightly wider area. Grip from the front seemed initially better but ran out quite quickly if pushing hard. I guess this was the result of the higher pressure. Some pictures showing the front camber working

8K9U3028.jpg

8K9U3029.jpg

8K9U3030.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but it seems to me that the outside of the offside tyres are carrying all the weight.

The airfield at Blyton near Gainsborough has been leased by a chap keen to develop a driving centre. The plan is quite ambitious and involves building a tarmac track nearly two miles long. To get experience in running a track day, and some income, MazdaOnTrack organised a day there on 19th March. It's a 320 mile round trip for me and as I cannot carry more than 2 spare wheels I didn't want to risk totally wearing out the R888s so I went on the Toyo T1Rs which had done about 9000 miles. The car was great. The additional front grip reduced the car's tendency to understeer and the rear stayed in line. A little exhuberance was all that was need to make the rear step out in a controllable way. I got the video camera that you can see in the above photos working; the key seems to be switching it on. Here are the results (watch out for the car on the extreme left as I approach the circuit entry)

The circuit, laid out on the main runway, was dusty early on but a clean line developed although it stayed very slippy off that line. It was a good day and I hope the plans are fulfilled.

Some more pictures are here

I talked to the chaps preparing MX5 Mk3 race cars about the tyre wear. They are experiencing the same and have found no way to avoid it. It looks like part worn road tyres are going to be my best option.