Tony's Ferrari F360 blog....

Tony

are car seat rails a standard size then? would make life a lot easier if they were

From a company on ebay.. Two new seats £240 the pair.. They come with universal runners that are basically four bolts the same as my car although i do expect to make some modifications. Point to note they are not suitable for airbags or factory fitted seat belts the feed from the oem seat.

Well I've been lucky in the past so we will see.. The OEM seat rails have two pickup points and so does the MR2 so at the moment I'm confident but if it does go tits up the i have the 360 seat covers now which will look ok but no more than ok?

Well the seats came today and for the money their better than i expected. Also got the Ferrari key and a Ferrari wallet to go with my Ferrari phone case. So all I'm waiting for now is the Ferrari seat belt pads :)

will they fit in the car easily?

Yeah i think so but if not they also sell rails to fit rather than the universal rails sold with the seats. Fact is the black seats were nothing like the OEM whereas the cream seats i bought are closer but not pleated... If i went for that it's another 1k per seat.

Got the belt pads yesterday...

post-2-0-02048900-1511684157.jpg

Best £10 i ever spent.... Mission today is to remove one of the seats to see how far the new seat rails are? If they are to far off I'll simply order some new universal rails closer to the old seats measurements.

Wow you've been busy Tone! Careful you don't go too far with the bolt ons!

I had a similar brush with aftermarket seats with the mx5 before I went and got the Recaros which bolt straight in. I'd say getting some old Mr2 rails and taking what you need from those to make the new seats fit and sell the others on complete will net you a few quid back. Just make sure whoevera is doing the metalwork and welding uses thick gauge steel (zero flex) and can weld properly!

Also one other thing : watch out that the headroom is ok once the seats are bolted in on the new adaptors. That can catch people out and they end up feeling like they are on a bar stool!

Finely found what i need...

post-2-0-73262200-1511714196.jpg

Nothing else available and decided not to bodge the fitting in the name of safety. These rails are model specific and FIA approved not that, that concerns me. Now the bad bit, they are made in the states and cost $164 each plus $67 each shipping ( gulp ) I'm a bit annoyed they don't come as pairs but if they are for racing normally it's just the one seat.

I think the seat belt hasp should fit the new mounts, if not I'll just get some longer ones and bolt them on direct.

post-2-0-60896700-1511714791.jpg

Ok this is costing me way more than i thought but done correctly it adds value to the car so it's not dead money.

That's how I'd do it and you know it will be safe. Make sure you use the correct automotive grade bolts and nothing from screwfix for those. You won't be adding any value to the car doing this but it'll be safe and that's all that matters.

With this correct base i can use the original bolts. Regarding these base's i looked for the last few days at the universal ones but none of them would definitely fit, or they would fit the seats but not the anchor points so one way or another it was going to be a bodge, and in truth they weren't that much cheaper so it seemed stupid to spend money on something that probably won't fit.

That's why I went for the Recaros. It's a false economy to mess about and the outcome will be not so good. You'll be fine with those if they are model specific and have the hasp attachments on board. Just be prepared for customs to take a slice also....

I assume the customs are included in the shipping price?,..... The reason i went for these seats is they are the closest looking to the real thing but 2k cheaper, saying that even if i did buy OEM that doeasn't mean they would fit an MR2?