Tony's Ferrari F360 blog....

Tony

I had the paint on top of a heater for a while and constantly shook it, but the alloy was cold i think? Needless to say i would have thought the spray would have sprayed as well as the black which i did yesterday? I don't know but whatever I'm back where i was.

if you have any of the chemicals left maybe they will work before the paint has fully hardened? worth a go if you're getting it blasted again.

Annoying though when that happens.

Spray it on the kitchen table after having it in the oven warming it up next time. I'm sure Elaine will be fine about it... :lol:

16 hours ago, Geoffers said:

if you have any of the chemicals left maybe they will work before the paint has fully hardened? worth a go if you're getting it blasted again.

Annoying though when that happens.

Spray it on the kitchen table after having it in the oven warming it up next time. I'm sure Elaine will be fine about it... :lol:

Problem with this paint is you have to lay three deep layers and that's where i think i went wrong? It warns about temperature so i think i was to thick, too deep ( I wish )

15 hours ago, Rich said:

That's a bugger. I definitely would've waited until it was warmer though. How much would it cost to get it professionally sprayed?

£15 to get it blasted again, but your right in the sense the place that blasted it is Max Powder, so it might be intelligent of me to ask them if they can do it :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

It's back with them. They don't wrinkle paint but top tip was to bake the alloy a bit before spraying.

Centre console is on it's way from Malaysia... I know this because UK customs just sent me a bill for £27.99 before they will allow delivery :banghead:

Well it arrived today in the most secure cardboard box I've ever seen...It was like a coffin and unlike a coffin took me ages to unpack. Just as well the coffin was so sturdy because there was no internal packaging but all said the console was perfect.

Also, today I've collected the rocker cover "again" and crinkled sprayed it "again" but this time i took some extra precautions.... Namely, i baked the cover for half and hour. Sprayed a base crinkle layer and allowed that to react. After that i sprayed all the other directions required to layer the cover and then i baked the whole thing again for half an hour.

This time i think i've cracked it and together with the alloy frame and air boxes it looks superb..... Pictures to follow.

Pictures as promised

Air boxes now in crinkle black

IMG_0991.JPG.3d826d2309a79f6e6c331720dd9667de.JPG

Alloy frame, sanded, welds made good and painted

IMG_0992.JPG.0d2eb43a5d639427edbfbb7ea44a56f8.JPG

Alloy head, blasted, under coated and crinkle sprayed Ferrari red. All the fittings are yet to be applied.

IMG_0993.JPG.c3fdee6b054f0017790e2141c2f58c1f.JPG

And now each part roughly in place

IMG_0994.JPG.5d0b47c334131cfa129e3f0330488c00.JPG

• 2 months later...

The engine rebuild is nearly done and I'm quite proud of it really since i also built the box. Although I'm keen to show some images i think it would be better to post the finished results....

Of all things the part that's troubling me is the fake wiring. From the headers i have stainless braided hose that disappear out of the box but convincing wiring is a problem because i don't know what will work or look real?

On the plus side the engine bay is preped for spray which will be the same colour as the body, so rather than a black carbon look-a-like it should look correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Wiring loom now purchased via ebay..... Actual destination to me is irrelevant since it's the look I'm after not performance.

I've test fitted the engine cover and drilled the relevant holes into the air boxes ready for the install. They are now glued into the engine covers frame/ box.

Tomorrow I'm getting the paint primer suitable for fibreglass/ plastic, two cans of aerosol in the correct colour, one can of clear but i'm still waiting for the masking paper which should arrive in the next few days.

When i do the math this addition has cost around £1000 in prep and materials, she would go mad if she knew but I'm quite comfortable with it since the "fake" engine is one of the first things people look at?

It's been a bit of a grind sorting this "fake" engine out simply because it's evolution is in my mind, there isn't a template to go by so i've had to try the build by trial and error...... Error being the winner most times. Needless to say I'm at a stage now to commit the final look by fixing each component permanently.

Simple things like the corrugated rubber hoses between the air boxes and rocker cover i bought replica Ferrari stamped hoses for £50, without realizing the genuine size is about twice the size of the replica hoses!!!.... Stupid mistake.

I'm going to make good the engine bay platform today but not paint it as said before? Reason being i think the fibreglass will still be damp despite the last warm few days, so since there no real rush i might as well hold back.

Some images....

The engine is around 50% complete and placed with a new box which i made myself. Sprayed in the correct colour and stainless steel braided lines fitted.

IMG_1057.JPG.fd6eadca52a31fa208286e3f3fa7ef5f.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG.c900f017b8391ced373f534149be509c.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG.bc58aaed0bd64a248c8cc7d6248e9d41.JPG

Issue i have is the box is fitted to the car via screws through the air boxes so it's a surgical fit which is now marked on the boxes but i'm a little worried about the weight?

Wiring is pending subject to the wash i gave it yesterday

IMG_1060.JPG.3b986a013de69f8a7e4e23284ac4c03a.JPG

I'm also going to "lock in" the engine waterproofing it by fitting rubber seals so that the bay is locked away from contamination ingress. Seems a little bit overkill but the vents either side of the engine floods the bay when washed which means i would have to remove the entire bay just to clean it.

Next issue is to make good the engine housing which i'm going to spray with the correct colour this time because my idea of blacking the housing out was definitely wrong...

IMG_1056.JPG.457ccab22e8af111d0051cc21563bf45.JPG

To be continued.....

• 2 weeks later...

Wiring positioned but not locked in yet... My focus at the moment is painting the engine bays housing and then positioning the engine glass cover? Well thanks to the weather any painting has to wait but in the meantime i think i have a solution for the glass mounting spacers...

What I've got is some threaded plastic blocks that i could shave down or space out accordingly.... The reason for this is the glass is curved so there needs to be some shimming.....

IMG_1069.JPG.d3e372d47fae0d1c78dea260dc390f6b.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG.5f07b8de8ee39b1280c672ce81b1db86.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG.b44364f37ff281993674afb0dc0727a4.JPG

Mounted on 10mm steel rods that will offer me some flexibility.

Keeping the car depends on my health now?..... It's so low and compact i might have issues driving it.... Nevertheless i'm going to give it a go :guitar:

You noticed the over spray then :D..... Nothing a can of matt black won't solve :angel: