Best coilovers for NB MX5

34Guy

Hi there,

My first post on here so nice to meet everyone, you seem like a friendly bunch!

I currently drive a W reg 2000 Mazda MX5 1.8iS with the Torsen LSD and am looking for some better coilovers. This is my third MX5 and I'm hoping to do a 'novice only' trackday at Oulton Park in September, I did the same in my old Integra Type-R and it was brilliant fun. But I'd like to upgrade my coilovers before I do and get the geo set up properly as well.

Over the years I've had about 6 different types of aftermarket coilovers on my MX5s and am still searching for the magic combination of ride comfort and fast-road/track responsiveness. In total I've had the standard OEM suspension, the standard OEM Bilsteins, Performance 5 'pure drive', HSDs, Tein Control Master Flex, Performance 5 'Sport Drive' and lastly Koni Sports (yellow) with Tein S-tech springs.

I liked the 'Pure Drives' but the outer dampening adjusters seized up after just a few months. Up until very recently I was driving around on their follow up coilovers = Performance 5 'Sport Drive' which were very good but still have NVH issues which Phil is working hard to resolve but it's taking forever and I'd rather have a niggle-free solution right now.

The HSDs weren't bad but began to rust quite badly after just one month, plus they wouldn't go high enough for my ideal ride height of 13" front 13.5" rear (wheel center to arch). The TEIN flex offered more height adjustability but seemed to be quite a harsh ride; even after I backed the dampening off considerably, I think they must've had quite high spring rates and the ride was still a bit uncomfortable.

I like the Koni Sport/Tein S-Tech combination as the ride quality is almost as good as stock on full soft, but the responsiveness doesn't seem to be there. Or maybe I need to just wind up/stiffen the dampening a bit? I heard that they're a digressive shock though and that at higher speeds they work less efficiently though; although I'm definetely no expert, it seems most manufactures are now producing monotube instead.

I did read somewhere that it's better to have a twin-tube system that's specifically valved/adjusted to suit that particular car rather than just jumping on the Mono-Tube bandwagon when the valving isn't correctly setup for your car?

I liked the sound of GAZ Gold Pros but after hearing stories of poor build quality and the same knocking problems on several different MX5s I think I'll steer clear.

The only ones I've not really tried (well the sub £700 ones anyway) are Meister R and BC Racing. Both of which have separate height/spring preload adjustment a side of which I believe is less suspension travel on the back, which is already quite limited on MX5s - apparently even stock MX5s ride on the bumpstops fairly regularly, that's why Mazda made them progressive so that they almost act as a second spring?

I think I read somewhere that Meisters are just rebranded BC Racing coilovers anyway and that they're made in the same factory in China? But then again Meister claim to have made several improvements over the original design e.g. adding an extra 10mm of travel to the rear shocks, outsourcing/using Japanese bearing inside which are stronger than the Chinese stuff? And they have increased the ride height adjustment so you can actually get them upto 13inch front 13.5inch rear unlike the HSDs (not sure if BC Racing go this high).

I'm the first person so admit I'm not an expert (hence coming on here) but feel like I know what I want, just not sure which to buy. I'm prepared to change my coilovers once more, but after that I don't want to be having to take them off again, etc.

Which coilovers qould you guys recommend? Which would WIM recomend?

I basically want a ride height of 13inch front, 13.5inch rear, something that has adjustable dampening. Something that will ride bumpy British B roads well as my car is my daily driver, but also something that will be fairly epic on track..... do such coilovers exist?

Appreciate your help chaps, don't want to end up buying the wrong ones again ;)

Thanks in advance

- Guy

Hi guy,

You seem to have tried everything apart from Gaz Gold!

First off, the disclaimer, Gaz has sponsored the Hornet, the PlanetMX5 track car, and has a set of the older Gaz pro shocks which have been rebuilt as Gaz Gold Pro. supplied foc.

I also have a set of Gaz Gold on my own supercharged mark 1.

On the Hornet it is set up with tonys track setting and the shocks turned up harder than the road settings.

Corners nice and level, and is great on track, we dont bother to change the suspension settings now, too lazy, so she rides hard on the road, about the same as the bilstiens I had.

On my own car, fast road/track settings with the suspension set to slightly harder, so have a balance between comfort and handling.

Regarding noise, you will hear more of these complaints as there have been more sold. When there have been problems Gazman has been accessable to resolve problems.

H

Hi there,

My first post on here so nice to meet everyone, you seem like a friendly bunch!

I currently drive a W reg 2000 Mazda MX5 1.8iS with the Torsen LSD and am looking for some better coilovers. This is my third MX5 and I'm hoping to do a 'novice only' trackday at Oulton Park in September, I did the same in my old Integra Type-R and it was brilliant fun. But I'd like to upgrade my coilovers before I do and get the geo set up properly as well.

Over the years I've had about 6 different types of aftermarket coilovers on my MX5s and am still searching for the magic combination of ride comfort and fast-road/track responsiveness. In total I've had the standard OEM suspension, the standard OEM Bilsteins, Performance 5 'pure drive', HSDs, Tein Control Master Flex, Performance 5 'Sport Drive' and lastly Koni Sports (yellow) with Tein S-tech springs.

I liked the 'Pure Drives' but the outer dampening adjusters seized up after just a few months. Up until very recently I was driving around on their follow up coilovers = Performance 5 'Sport Drive' which were very good but still have NVH issues which Phil is working hard to resolve but it's taking forever and I'd rather have a niggle-free solution right now.

The HSDs weren't bad but began to rust quite badly after just one month, plus they wouldn't go high enough for my ideal ride height of 13" front 13.5" rear (wheel center to arch). The TEIN flex offered more height adjustability but seemed to be quite a harsh ride; even after I backed the dampening off considerably, I think they must've had quite high spring rates and the ride was still a bit uncomfortable.

I like the Koni Sport/Tein S-Tech combination as the ride quality is almost as good as stock on full soft, but the responsiveness doesn't seem to be there. Or maybe I need to just wind up/stiffen the dampening a bit? I heard that they're a digressive shock though and that at higher speeds they work less efficiently though; although I'm definetely no expert, it seems most manufactures are now producing monotube instead.

I did read somewhere that it's better to have a twin-tube system that's specifically valved/adjusted to suit that particular car rather than just jumping on the Mono-Tube bandwagon when the valving isn't correctly setup for your car?

I liked the sound of GAZ Gold Pros but after hearing stories of poor build quality and the same knocking problems on several different MX5s I think I'll steer clear.

The only ones I've not really tried (well the sub £700 ones anyway) are Meister R and BC Racing. Both of which have separate height/spring preload adjustment a side of which I believe is less suspension travel on the back, which is already quite limited on MX5s - apparently even stock MX5s ride on the bumpstops fairly regularly, that's why Mazda made them progressive so that they almost act as a second spring?

I think I read somewhere that Meisters are just rebranded BC Racing coilovers anyway and that they're made in the same factory in China? But then again Meister claim to have made several improvements over the original design e.g. adding an extra 10mm of travel to the rear shocks, outsourcing/using Japanese bearing inside which are stronger than the Chinese stuff? And they have increased the ride height adjustment so you can actually get them upto 13inch front 13.5inch rear unlike the HSDs (not sure if BC Racing go this high).

I'm the first person so admit I'm not an expert (hence coming on here) but feel like I know what I want, just not sure which to buy. I'm prepared to change my coilovers once more, but after that I don't want to be having to take them off again, etc.

Which coilovers qould you guys recommend? Which would WIM recomend?

I basically want a ride height of 13inch front, 13.5inch rear, something that has adjustable dampening. Something that will ride bumpy British B roads well as my car is my daily driver, but also something that will be fairly epic on track..... do such coilovers exist?

Appreciate your help chaps, don't want to end up buying the wrong ones again ;)

Thanks in advance

- Guy

Hello Guy

Minefield this coilover lark since it's so opinionated. Meister R are re-branded BCR's with added marketing but I'll come back to that later..

The holy grail of coilovers is "adjustability". few, if any coilovers will offer an exact match to your needs. Most assume a track orientation for the suspension and apply a high rate, Tein being a perfect example. Another consideration is the top mounts. The likes of GAZ/ SportDrive and so on assume the mounts are still serviceable which in most cases their not after x amount of miles.

The ride height you aiming for is perfect but it's a fine line between pre-loading the coil or issues with coil chatter on droop, depending on the make? Pre-load is pants because you can unsettle the reaction rate on each corner in order to obtain the perfect rake.

BCR offer an independently adjustable body, adjustable perch in the event you do want to tinker with pre-load and single point adjustable dampening, with added top-mounts.

Meister R may have coil rate options but i'm not so sure because i needed a low rate for a NC 3.5 due to the owners bad back. Apex contacted BCR who made me softer coils but also had to change the length of the piston stroke, the entire concept had to be dyno'd and approved and then sent to the UK. Although Apex made it easy for me, BCR don't just say bung that coil on that damper. If Meister R are mixing rates and then depending on the damper adjustability then i would be worried.

Thanks hms & Tony, a big help :lol:

Obviously I've already spent a small fortune on suspension so I want to get it right this time round. So Tony, if I'm not looking at GAZ coilovers, would would recommend dual-perch suspension so that I can alter ride height without changing preload over a single perch system? And out of all those dual-perch setups BC Racing are probably the best?

I noticed the Meisters seem to use spring rates of front 7kg rear 6kg, whereas BC Racing using 6kg all round: is that correct?

Also, Meister lengthened the rear shock body as well as increase the piston rod length to get an extra 10mm of total shock travel to help avoid hitting the rear bumpstops - do you know if BC racing have done this?

I was disappointed that my HSDs wouldn't go as high as 13inch front, 13.5inch rear without altering/adding spring preload on both the front and rear - do you know if BC racing will go this high without messing with preload settings?

And if I was to go for BC Racing, could you give me some recommended dampening/preload settings for fast road/occasional track if I came down to your place to get the geo setup? And likewise for the Meisters?

Apologies if it sounds like I'm pecking your head, I guess I should be asking all these questions to the manufacturers, but the seem to have a habit of telling you their coilovers will do everything and are the best things since sliced bread, so it's good to get an objective third party opinion :D

Thanks again for the help,

- Guy

BCR run front spring rate : 8kg/mm (448lbs/in) Rear spring rate : 6kg/mm (336lbs/in) as a fast-road/ occasional track from stock. The damper setting would be around 16-18 front and rear but there's no real setting to be honest because it will be the one that suits you. Preload set to zero + half a turn.

Hitting the stop would only happen if the trim was set stupid low, so adding body/ shaft length makes no difference, so i'm not to sure what Meister are going on about there?

Oh I should've explained, both Meister and BC have changed the rear topmounts so they're a 'Top Hat' design to give extra tavel i.e. the top of the mount is a dome shape so that the end of the shock body/bumpstop can go up inside the mount to give it extra suspension travel. But I read somewhere that unless you increase the piston rod length accordingly doing this is useless as you have to increase the amount of travel inside the shock body as well to utilise this extra room/Top-Hat.

I'm no expert and am probably a bit rubbish at explaining this stuff but hopefully you know what I mean?

Which coilovers would you recommend Tony? For 13inch front, 13.5inch rear, comfy on bumpy British B-roads but excellent on occasional trackdays?

Thanks again :D

- Guy

What confuses be is your concern for "bump & droop" extremes, albeit bump-stop or the mount compression seat. All dampers have an idyllic working range that can be controlled by the coil rate/ re-bound reply, go beyond this then extra coil rates or stroke will be required but this is normally in the racing community not domestic.

13/ 13.5cm leaves a horizontal unsprung chassis ( ideal ) SportDrive/ GAZ and so on expect a lower profile and optimize within that range, higher rate and low damper activity.

Thanks, it seems fairly obvious now that I'm in way over my head (!)

I think GAZ are out of the question for me, I was hoping and still believe the Sport Drives will be excellent once Phil has finished them, but I can't afford to wait much longer.

Do you know if BC Racing will go as high as 13inch front, 13.5inch rear? The HSDs which were a dual perch design qould only go to about 12inch front, 12.5inch rear which was disappointing for me, plus they rusted quite badly after just one UK winter month. I've heard the Meisters will just about go to 13/13.5inch but I see what you mean about them changing the spring rate: looks like they've changed the fronts from 8kg down to 7kg but I don't know if they changed the valving accordingly?

Mark (jibberingloon) over at NCB Motorsport thinks BC Racing are fantastic, better than his old TEIN Flex, but I suppose he would say that as he's the main UK sales agent for them...

If I wasn't going to go for GAZ or Sport Drive which is the next best option that'll go to 13inch/13.5inch?

I feel like I should be paying you for this advice somehow :D

Appreciate the help

- Guy

Thanks Tony much appreciated... watch this space!

If and when I get them installed I'll try and make the 200mile trip down to you guys to get the Geo setup, I have a set of new alignment bolts that I'll fit prior to coming down so everything should be fairly easy to adjust.

Cheers