Lowering a car

Rich

I want to lower mine and I'm gonna get some 40mm springs. Cos these are also for the petrol versions they lower the TD by about 50-60mm cos of the extra weight.

Now me wheels have an offset of 35 (the minimum for ford wheels). I think the rear tyres will catch on the arch lip from visually looking but I can't be sure.

Is there anyway I can check whether they will catch before I buy them?

Well, you want to see if the tyre hits the arch with smaller springs so i was thinking drop the strut, take the spring off, fit just the damper back to the car, put the wheel back on then slowly lower the car on the jack until the wheel is sitting deep in the arch.

This will show you the full range of bump travel you'll experience with sorter springs.

Just be careful taking the springs out, make sure you use spring compressors!

Well I have had a full boot, an adult, child and 2 dogs in the back when I go away. The arch lip is just above the tyre then. So when there's 2 in the front as well I'd imagine it's very low. I've only just decided to lower it though so never paid much attention to the clearance. Never had any banging etc and I drive 300 miles like this, plus there's a few nasty speed bumps I go over. Those pyramid shaped ones made of rubber.

I may have found some 30mm V6 springs I can use as they shouldn't compress anymore than what they're suppose to, but they're 50quid more! :sad01_anim:

I want to lower mine and I'm gonna get some 40mm springs. Cos these are also for the petrol versions they lower the TD by about 50-60mm cos of the extra weight.

if extra waight of the td will drop it by an extra 10-20mm your shocks will then bottom out as the standard mondeo shocks will take a max of 40mm drop. i would say you would need shortend shocks to allow the correct travel and resistance.{think that makes sence}

if extra waight of the td will drop it by an extra 10-20mm your shocks will then bottom out as the standard mondeo shocks will take a max of 40mm drop. i would say you would need shortend shocks to allow the correct travel and resistance.{think that makes sence}

Yeah I know that's why I didn't wanna go lower than 30mm. I've also been told that the more weight you have in the car the firmer the springs should get so it won't appear much lower with a full load.

I've found some Eibach 30mm V6/TD springs second hand for 75quid. The same ones new I've found for 165quid. Now these are from a shop as well so should be able to view them. What do you need to look for when buying second hand springs? From what I've read though these Eibach ones seem to be very good...

soz m8 didnt see the bit about the 30mm springs at the bottom of your last post

not sure what to look for but i would of though that aslong as there is no rust on them thay should be preety good.also put the springs next to each other and check both fronts are the same hight and do the same with the rear.in my experiance of s/hand springs ive put them on to find 1 of the coils were slightly bent.this made the car lower on that corner and it made it quite unpleasent to drive and created lots of issues regarding tracking

and tyre wear probs

soz m8 didnt see the bit about the 30mm springs at the bottom of your last post

not sure what to look for but i would of though that aslong as there is no rust on them thay should be preety good.also put the springs next to each other and check both fronts are the same hight and do the same with the rear.in my experiance of s/hand springs ive put them on to find 1 of the coils were slightly bent.this made the car lower on that corner and it made it quite unpleasent to drive and created lots of issues regarding tracking

and tyre wear probs

What if the paint is flaking/peeling off is this an indication that they might be older than stated?

Someone on MEG put some pics up of their Eibach springs they had changed after doing 220K miles, the difference in height between those and the new ones was minimal.

No harm in looking at them, as long I they supply some sort of guarantee I'd be able to take them back hopefully if I feel they're not right. But then with my luck I'd probably be better of buying new... :sad01_anim:

What if the paint is flaking/peeling off is this an indication that they might be older than stated?

it is possible thay may be older.just make sure your 100%before you by them.

good luck with it all m8 ;)

The bloke has already sold them, didn't take them off the site :)

Still I get me car back tomorrow, all fixed now, been hell the last 2 weeks without it...

never know mite of been a bleesing in descize m8,

get em new the least you know thay will be tip top ;)