longer axel greater stability right?

If all things are equal is that the case then?

I ask becuase i have a simple thing I want to do aesthetically, but how will if affect the handling? I want to Put 20mm spacers (hubcentric) on my car to bring the wheels out.. or perhaps 15mm on the front 25mm on the back. Suggestions? answers?

Carl

:blush:

The wider track does indeed adjust the lateral roll centre but only marginally. The main concern is the additional spacers and the new tyre contact patch (scrub radius). As desirable as the wider track is there is a desperate need to maintain where the tyre saturates. Re-defining a Geometric attitude at the chassis is the best route.

The wider track does indeed adjust the lateral roll centre but only marginally. The main concern is the additional spacers and the new tyre contact patch (scrub radius). As desirable as the wider track is there is a desperate need to maintain where the tyre saturates. Re-defining a Geometric attitude at the chassis is the best route.

so if I understand then the procedure recomended is to 1)find geometric attiditude at chassis, then 2) install desired spacers. then repeat the step 1.

or what am I missing Tony?

so if I understand then the procedure recomended is to 1)find geometric attiditude at chassis, then 2) install desired spacers. then repeat the step 1.

or what am I missing Tony?

The area is very subjective. What is your intentions with the car? If the mods are cosmetic then very little chassis calibration is required, if track events are your intention then this thread needs to develop a very different path. Maybe read this thread regarding dynamics. http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...p?showtopic=792

putting spacers on, (can), accelerate wheel bearing failiure

No intention to race the car. Just local high street use, shopping etc :sad01_anim:

if the hubcentric spacers (aluminium and TUV approved) are going to cause safety issues I'd rather do without them. Would the safety risk issues increase with the spacer width... eg 15mm vs 25 mm?

No intention to race the car. Just local high street use, shopping etc :o

if the hubcentric spacers (aluminium and TUV approved) are going to cause safety issues I'd rather do without them. Would the safety risk issues increase with the spacer width... eg 15mm vs 25 mm?

hubcentric / bolt on spacers are the best to use as this reduces the strain on the factor wheel studs

to reduce the effect on the bearings, and the usual need to fit spacers is the use of a wider wheel, by using the spacer you can increase clearence in the wheel well

to add spacers just for stability while shopping.............is there a need :sad01_anim:

No intention to race the car. Just local high street use, shopping etc :sad01_anim:

Assuming all the risks regarding bearings and studs are resolved "we" would have major issues with the new tyre contact patch. By design off-set allows the tyre contact patch to fall within the front steer axis (scrub radius) and the rear needs to transport traction efficiently to belay pneumatic saturation during yaw commands. The type of mod suggested needs careful consideration.

Assuming all the risks regarding bearings and studs are resolved "we" would have major issues with the new tyre contact patch. By design off-set allows the tyre contact patch to fall within the front steer axis (scrub radius) and the rear needs to transport traction efficiently to belay pneumatic saturation during yaw commands. The type of mod suggested needs careful consideration.

Yes... It would seem like letting the tyres naturally wear down, and then purchasing wheels with the correct offset for the model would be a better idea from a safety point of view, is that right? Could I just then ask a wheel supplier for say 18 inch wheels with my particular offset I need?

Beleive it or not that will present exactly the same set of problems and considerations.

It's the process of moving the tyre contact patch away from the suspension that gives rise to the issue's, not how you do it ;)

ahh i see what you mean.

I reckon I will put the spacers on anyway. If there is wheel bearing failure, then I will deal with that as and when. Thanks for the heads up about it though.

The bodykit screams "put spacers on me!" on a daily basis.

Beleive it or not that will present exactly the same set of problems and considerations.

It's the process of moving the tyre contact patch away from the suspension that gives rise to the issue's, not how you do it :)

ahh i see what you mean.

I reckon I will put the spacers on anyway. If there is wheel bearing failure, then I will deal with that as and when. Thanks for the heads up about it though.

The bodykit screams "put spacers on me!" on a daily basis.

I agree the "fuller figure" would look better..... Looks like i have more calibration to do on your car in the future ;)

talk to me... too much?

"Calibration?" hard to say on the fly... I would need to retain the projected inclination near to zero on your car.... (0 scrub radius) this thread may help.... http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...p?showtopic=561

Sounds interesting even though I cant understand the details. I should be getting the car back tomorrow, with or without spacers. If spacers are fitted, I woder if i will *feel* a difference.

talk to me... too much?

"Calibration?" hard to say on the fly... I would need to retain the projected inclination near to zero on your car.... (0 scrub radius) this thread may help.... http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...p?showtopic=561

Sounds interesting even though I cant understand the details. I should be getting the car back tomorrow, with or without spacers. If spacers are fitted, I woder if i will *feel* a difference.

You will.

not only did i feel a difference (probably subjective)

I heard one too. the sound of the damn tyres fouling the rear arches on turns. bumps, and harsh acceleration.

Solution: exchanging the 25mm hubcentrics for 20mm ones.

I won't gloat but i said "you will"..... Assuming the rub is not to severe i can dip the camber -30 or -40' so that the camber gain misses the arch?