Ok....

I went into a vauxhall dealership in hemel and spoke to a mechanic.....

Told him the story of oil change etc.....Now he seems to think its more than likely either WRONG OIL ( said Castrol 10-40w is thicker than GM own brand.? ) OR Faulty oil pressure sensor.....

He said if it was the oil pump i would have more probs and oil pump would more than likely make a knocking noise.....?

The vaux mechanic also recomended fully synthetic 5-30w oil ( either GM own Brand or mobil,fuch`s etc )

Yep i think a thinner oil is the way to go but it wont effect this issue with the light coming on

A decent garage can check the oi pressure in minutes , i even have the kit at home, you cant really check the oil pressure sensor itself so either change it anyhow (£10-£15 last time i bought one) or get the pressure checked

Yep i think a thinner oil is the way to go but it wont effect this issue with the light coming on

A decent garage can check the oi pressure in minutes , i even have the kit at home, you cant really check the oil pressure sensor itself so either change it anyhow (£10-£15 last time i bought one) or get the pressure checked

Was going to change the oil today but of course it started raining again..!

also got a oil pressure switch from vaux world...genuine GM part....£9 inc postage....so a few bits to be getting on with......will then get my oil pressure checked....

Also noticed is the oil pressure light seems to flicker when the cars idling so not fully lit-up and continuous....hmmmm strange

Other than that the car ticks over sweetly and drives nice and smooth...

Ohhh the joys of motoring.!!

Personally I don't reckon on engine flushing in general use. Regular oil changes with good oil is better than cleaning out the crap from cheap oil. But in your case where there's evidence of some issues I'd say probably not a bad idea.

• 2 years later...
[sOLUTION] - maybe.

In short: make sure the oil filter housing hasn't rotated.

Hi guys, I just did an oil (15W40 as recommended) and filter change on a 2000 Astra X18XE (basically same car) and had the same problem.

Started it and it kept showing the oil light at idle. Any revs higher than that and it disappeared, but I couldn't work out what it was.

I noticed when I tightened it (not even real tight) that the housing for the filter rotated with it slowly.

I went to undo the filter to try put the old one back in, and noticed the housing spin back to the original position. 

I started it up and it was fine.

Not sure what's inside - whether its some sort of adjustment or if it shouldn't move at all, but rotating it definitely restricted oil flow.

Just thought i'd share this because I wish I knew it earlier!