Well there i was done a full service on my car.

New oil & filter....... I used Castrol Magnatec part synthetic oil 10-40w

Pollen filter

Air filter

Spark plugs

Fuel filter

All genuine GM parts

so whats the prob with my car.......After doing the oil and filter change my oil light has come on.! BUT it only comes on while idling.? BUT NOT when driving.!?

She drives fine and smooth other than the light.

The oil on dipstick is just under max.

So anyone know what the problem might be.?

Im guessing either wrong oil...........It says to use 05-40w or 10-40w semi synthetic ( ive used part synthetic ) are they the same.?

Or maybe a faulty oil pressure switch.?( will check tomo to see if there is any oil leaking )

Or oil level sensor

Going for the cheapest option first.....

Was the light off before you changed the oil? Did you look at the consistency of the old oil? Hopefully if it was OK before then you have just pulled a wire off on the pressure switch.

If a wire was off the switch then it would stay on all the time

The engine oil pressure is lowest when hot and idling , whilst 10-40 should be fine but the opening "Well there i was done a full service on my car" makes little sense and doesnt make clear whether the op serviced the car himself or had a dealer do it , if its the latter then perhaps the wrong oil was used a lower weight oil would give less pressure at idle

The oil pressure switch could well be faulty but remarkable co-incidence to fail straight after an oil change and they dont often fail like that in my experience they tend to flash intermittently, stay on or just not work at all .

Well i done the service myself...The sump capacity is 4 litres and thats what i used...put half in then let it settle......then the rest in until it reached the upper MAX mark......went for a drive......came back.....waited 5mins then re-checked and its on the MAX mark on dipstick....

And i used castrol magnatec 10-40w and thought that would be ok.?

I know all the previous services where done by a main dealer and they used 10-40w GM vauxhall oil

I have a 1 litre bottle of GM oil indoors from my corsa

So i checked the two oils together and i must say the CASTROL OIL seems to be MORE THICKER than the GM oil..? So maybe the oils to thick.?

I will change the oil again first off and then change the oil npressure sensor if still goes on as they are about £5 of Ebay...

Should i use a thinner oil like 5-30w 5-40w ? something like MOBIL 2000

Was the light off before you changed the oil? Did you look at the consistency of the old oil? Hopefully if it was OK before then you have just pulled a wire off on the pressure switch.

The light has never been on before.

The old oil was dark brown and slightly thicker than new oil

I'm just wondering whether maybe somebody had added something to it to make it thicker to sell it ( I know a friend who bought a car that had similar experience to you, and that had the oil thickened to sell hence no warning lights / guages ).

Ive had the car for a year now

I brought it and after i had it for a few months i had the oil changed by a family friend who i trust as hes a mechanic and has his own garage in sarratt.

after he had changed the oil i never had any problems UNTIL i changed it at the weekend.

Just find it strange the light come on after it was changed.....

Should i use 5-30w or 5-40w oil.? any reccomendations regarding the best oil to use.?

It will be my 1st port of call and then the oil pressure sensor..

Although Castrol is crap, it's the correct spec so I doubt that's the problem. However, I've heard of faulty (or even incorrect) oil filters causing this very problem, so personally I'd double check the part number for your engine, buy another filter, and swap it over to make sure. Cheapest option.

After that I'd suspect possibly the oil pick up pipe in the sump blocked (or partially) and not enough oil being supplied at tickover to the pressure switch.

Although Castrol is crap, it's the correct spec so I doubt that's the problem. However, I've heard of faulty (or even incorrect) oil filters causing this very problem, so personally I'd double check the part number for your engine, buy another filter, and swap it over to make sure. Cheapest option.

After that I'd suspect possibly the oil pick up pipe in the sump blocked (or partially) and not enough oil being supplied at tickover to the pressure switch.

Hi viking...

The oil filter is a genuine GM one and purchased from vauxhall and the codes tally up with the make model of my car....

How would i check if the oil pick up pipe in the sump is blocked.? where would i find the pipe on my car...and is it easy to check and sort out myself.?

Also what oil would you say is better.? Mobil 2000.? or comma.?

Also what oil would you say is better.? Mobil 2000.? or comma.?

Mobil all the way for me. :o There's nothing better for an engine than the best oil you can give it.

As said, sump off to check the oil pick up pipe.

However, I think the filter on those engines is a paper element type which drops into the housing, correct? Are you sure all the o rings were fitted / changed correctly when you fitted it?

Also, just checked the Vauxhall section of Opie oils and they recommend 5w 40 for your engine. Where did you get the 10w 40 recommendation from? Not sure if Opie have it correct or not, but usually they're spot on.

Although a quick Google implies that up to 2001 should be 10w 40 and after that should be 5w 30. As is usual with oil specs, so many people speak knowledgeably on the subject when all they know is what the local garage put in their engine at the last service. I've litle knowledge of Vauxhall specs I'm afraid, but personally I'd run with a good quality 5w 40 oil if there was any doubt. 10w 40 is just too thick for me.

where would i find the pipe on my car...and is it easy to check and sort out myself.?

Take the sump pan off (if accessable)and you'll see it.

Ok cool thanx scorps. B)

Although a quick Google implies that up to 2001 should be 10w 40 and after that should be 5w 30. As is usual with oil specs, so many people speak knowledgeably on the subject when all they know is what the local garage put in their engine at the last service. I've litle knowledge of Vauxhall specs I'm afraid, but personally I'd run with a good quality 5w 40 oil if there was any doubt. 10w 40 is just too thick for me.

Thanx for the help viking.... :)

The reason i put 10-40w oil in is looking at the service history ( All vauxhall service history,book,sheets etc ) they used 10-40w....

BUT...I do remember thinking the castrol oil i got was rather thick....

Well looks like ill have a little project to do tomo if i get a chance.

Ill get some new oil .....Mobil 05-40w and see if that helps.

After that if the lights still on ill change the oil pressure swtich as i have a new one and go from there.....im hoping its just the oil and nothing to serious.

Ill keep u updated on how i get on.....Thanx for all the help.!!! B)

I'm willing to believe that 5w 30 is correct if someone more knowledgeable says so (ChannelZ) so don't take my recommendation of 5w 40 too seriously. That would be a good middle ground choice for me but if 5w 30 is what should be used then run with that.

On a side note, SEAT dealers are notorious for not knowing (or caring) what oil goes in a customers engine as long as it's cheap. I'm not saying Vauxhall are the same, but just because they use 10w 40 it doesn't mean that's correct. Also, oils of the same grade can be thicker or thinner depending on manufacturer so Vauxhalls oil might keep the oil light off even though it's the same spec as the stuff you used. Maybe a call to Opie on the phone would be a help. Link.

Either way, good luck with the oil change.

Seat should only use VAG approved oils they have their own specification

Oil too thick wont cause oil pressure issues , the opposite really , oil pressure is resistance to flow so thicker oil is harder to push around the engine so pressure will go up

This fault is not related to the oil grade

I'd get the oil pressure checked

Seat should only use VAG approved oils they have their own specification

Oil too thick wont cause oil pressure issues , the opposite really , oil pressure is resistance to flow so thicker oil is harder to push around the engine so pressure will go up

This fault is not related to the oil grade

I'd get the oil pressure checked

Hi thanx for your help liner33

Ive never had a problem before i done the service the other weekend....The oil pressure light has never come on before.

I would find it hard to see that there could be a serious problem after an oil change..... :huh: