Splitting ball joints

It seems that everytime I try to split one of these I end up buggering the rubber around it. When I was working on the car yesterday I managed to split the rubber on the lower arm ball joint. I only fitted it last week!! :)

I've got one of those fork shaped splitters and it doesn't matter how careful I am or how many rags I put around the rubber it splits.

So am I doing it wrong or should I be using a different tool? What other splitters can you get?

And can you get new rubbers for the ball joints, save me forking out another 20quid on a new arm?

It seems that everytime I try to split one of these I end up buggering the rubber around it. When I was working on the car yesterday I managed to split the rubber on the lower arm ball joint. I only fitted it last week!! :)

I've got one of those fork shaped splitters and it doesn't matter how careful I am or how many rags I put around the rubber it splits.

So am I doing it wrong or should I be using a different tool? What other splitters can you get?

And can you get new rubbers for the ball joints, save me forking out another 20quid on a new arm?

i usually tap mine down with a rubber mallet.thay should pop out quite easy.failing that get a pole and slide it over the arm and under the floor and lever it down.dont rate them splitters atall.i think you can get new rubbers but dont quote me on that thow.....

Normally if you need to remove the lower wishbone then the reason is terminal failure so the forked splitter serves the purpose. No other splitter is available to harmlessly remove the joint intact for the Mondeo... Efforts like adding leverage and "shocking" the pin by hammering the casting may prove successful? As for replacement rubbers.. Unlikely since @ £20 for a complete arm there would be little commercial value making a repair kit.

i usually tap mine down with a rubber mallet.thay should pop out quite easy.failing that get a pole and slide it over the arm and under the floor and lever it down.dont rate them splitters atall.i think you can get new rubbers but dont quote me on that thow.....

I've seen someone use a pole before and tried meself but it wouldn't budge! Now that I've got new ones on hopefully they'll come out easier if I do it that way.

Normally if you need to remove the lower wishbone then the reason is terminal failure so the forked splitter serves the purpose. No other splitter is available to harmlessly remove the joint intact for the Mondeo... Efforts like adding leverage and "shocking" the pin by hammering the casting may prove successful? As for replacement rubbers.. Unlikely since @ £20 for a complete arm there would be little commercial value making a repair kit.

Yeah but the lower ball joint needs taking out to change the CV joint! Ideally needs to come out for changing the shocks as well although you can just get them in if you hold the arm down. The only trouble with that is I'm worried I'd be putting too much strain on the bushes. As the ball joint rubber is only held on with 2 spring clips I thought there might have been replacements for a quid or two. Won't be changing it just yet then!

i have a splitter that wont damage the rubber, if you want to borrow it

Cheers will bear that in mind for when I change it again :)

i have a splitter that wont damage the rubber, if you want to borrow it

Cheers will bear that in mind for when I change it again :)

no problem...just ask

Jugging by the pm's E-R has sent me over the last few days it seems the diff has now gone :) He has no luck at all.