Effect of worn/loose suspension cap on geo

Rich

Tony will be able to relate to this more than anyone I think...

If you remember that noise I asked you to listen to before xmas I think I've found what was causing it. I've just realised that the noise I'm getting at the moment due to this damaged shock and the way the top plate is sitting on the spring, is the same. At the time me tyres were almost on the limit and I then got new ones fitted and the noise disappeared!

Now when I changed these shocks and springs over the nut that holds the cap on the spring and the nut on top of the little rubber cap in the engine bay weren't very tight at all.

So when I got me original geo done, assuming these nuts weren't tight and they were allowing some very slight movement in the cap/spring could this have upset the settings as soon as I drove the car again. During the fine tune I think the toe was out quite abit on the same side. I am also still getting some drifting/pulling.

And how do you explain the noise going when I changed the tyres? Would the extra tread have meant the position of the strut would have changed or it was putting more pressure on the spring as the tread is deeper?

Edit - Also I forgot to mention that after the new front tyres were fitted the steering wheel was at a slight angle.

Tony will be able to relate to this more than anyone I think...

If you remember that noise I asked you to listen to before xmas I think I've found what was causing it. I've just realised that the noise I'm getting at the moment due to this damaged shock and the way the top plate is sitting on the spring, is the same. At the time me tyres were almost on the limit and I then got new ones fitted and the noise disappeared!

Now when I changed these shocks and springs over the nut that holds the cap on the spring and the nut on top of the little rubber cap in the engine bay weren't very tight at all.

So when I got me original geo done, assuming these nuts weren't tight and they were allowing some very slight movement in the cap/spring could this have upset the settings as soon as I drove the car again. During the fine tune I think the toe was out quite abit on the same side. I am also still getting some drifting/pulling.

And how do you explain the noise going when I changed the tyres? Would the extra tread have meant the position of the strut would have changed or it was putting more pressure on the spring as the tread is deeper?

Edit - Also I forgot to mention that after the new front tyres were fitted the steering wheel was at a slight angle.

Well....

1: The worn top mount would deceive some Geo figures (camber/ castor) but due to the limited movement in the top mount the error would be minimal, so not responsible for the toe.

2: Drifting and pulling are different areas. A drift suggests a tendency to veer in one direction. A pull is a definite need to Yaw the vehicle and correct the force.

3: The top mounts did you replace one or both?... A worn top mount can generate a condition called "memory steer" this is a condition where the Geometry corrective forces are dismissed due to excessive friction in the mount.

4: The additional distance of the tread does not add additional pressure to the captive coils.. they are not concerned with the new tyres.

5: Previous tyre condition owns many possibility's and since the tyres were second hand i think it would be wise to dismiss them once and for all.

6: Once done i will need to measure the car again questionmark.gif

I won't pretend I understood all of that as I didn't but I got the gist of it...

I used the mounts I took off mine on the other shocks/springs. Now they would've done 163K miles and I'm not sure if they're actually worn or not. As I think that noise was caused from the nut being loose. Do you think I should get 2 new mounts or ones from a low milage car?

I keep referring to it as pulling, it is actually drifting slightly and tramlining but that's due to the tyes as you've said previously. Me rear ones will need replacing soon so I will make sure the place I order them from send a pair with the outer bands on opposite sides. If they ask why I'll point them in this direction! graduated.gif

I'm going to replace a couple of more things on the car before I get the geo done again...

As I'm getting new shocks I want some new springs so may lower it 30mm. The rear anti roll bar bushes will be replaced with poly ones and maybe the fronts if there's a way to get the bolts out without lowering the subframe? The drop links have been done and I will replace the lower arm bushes with poly ones next time they need doing as these seem to wear very quickly. Also I need that CV joint changed before I have the geo done.

Hopefully when that lot is done I won't have any problems for a while!! questionmark.gif

Yep alot of work but I'd rather do it all now and hopefully not worry about it again! I'n enjoying getting me hands dirty anyway :D

Tired! Nah, when you work nights you learn to go without sleep!!! :o :(

Yep alot of work but I'd rather do it all now and hopefully not worry about it again! I'n enjoying getting me hands dirty anyway :D

Tired! Nah, when you work nights you learn to go without sleep!!! :o :(

I only wish the catalogue of work for you diminished at some point... If i have ever meet someone determined it's you! Top points fella you are a true "go getta".... full wim respect!

Well as you know looks like I need a new gearbox now but I WON'T let this car defeat me! :)

sorry to here your g/box has gone now m8.mondeos there a never ending headache.but we love,em dearly

Well as you know looks like I need a new gearbox now but I WON'T let this car defeat me! :)

sorry to here your g/box has gone now m8.mondeos there a never ending headache.but we love,em dearly

It's a pain, especially as I'm going on holiday in 4 weeks and need the car to get there.

Means I gotta get the gearbox done now along with everything else I had planned for the next couple of weeks! :)

Still once it's done it shouldn't need doing again for as long as I have the car (touch wood!)...