Plasti dip your car!

Rich

You can't put a new coat over a questionable base coat if you want to do the job properly you need to start from

bare metal there are big chips in it !!

Blasting WILL smooth the surface as well as providing a good key for the paint

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can't put a new coat over a questionable base coat if you want to do the job properly you need to start from

bare metal there are big chips in it !!

Blasting WILL smooth the surface as well as providing a good key for the paint

That's the point, it's not paint.

You can't remove paint can you unless you sand it off, whereas plasti dip just peels off so they'd still be paint underneath if I left them. Although I like the idea of getting the kerbing smoothed out, if I ever wanted to sell them or just go back to normal paint I'd have to get them sprayed after removing the plasti dip. If I leave them and go black I think this might hide most of the kerbing from a reasonable distance. Maybe build the layers up in the worse areas to try and fill it in?

I guess I could get them refurbed and painted in silver and then plasti dip them in my chosen colour. But doing this will cost me £156 for the refurb and £22 for the plasti dip, rather than just doing it on the cheap with the later. Only one wheel is quite bad, the others aren't and it's mainly around the rim edge and side of the spokes.

I guess I could get the plasti dip and do just the worse wheel to see how it looks. If I get black I can always use it on other parts should I not like it but I think I will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this thread but was having a look at some of the videos on dipyourcar.com and looks like really interesting stuff. Love the effect the gold metalliser provided and was thinking doing the same with the silver metalliser might offer a really cool metallic dark silver?

Only thing that got me wondering though was how easy it peels off again when you want to remove it, does that mean you have to be really careful when washing the car? Myself I can do that I suppose but if I pop into a a local hand car wash will it get messed up?

Really tempted to give this a go on the wheels as it looks pretty straightforward and can just peel it off if I don't like the result.

Sorry to revive this thread but was having a look at some of the videos on dipyourcar.com and looks like really interesting stuff. Love the effect the gold metalliser provided and was thinking doing the same with the silver metalliser might offer a really cool metallic dark silver?

Only thing that got me wondering though was how easy it peels off again when you want to remove it, does that mean you have to be really careful when washing the car? Myself I can do that I suppose but if I pop into a a local hand car wash will it get messed up?

Really tempted to give this a go on the wheels as it looks pretty straightforward and can just peel it off if I don't like the result.

Haven't tried it but at a guess I'd say it would come off with a pressure washer if you directed the jet at an angle to it, especially if the coating is on the thin side. Conversely it's easier to peel off manually the thicker the coating, but this needs to be built up with multiple thin coats.

I've yet to apply a few coats to the rear sill area of the IS-F which appears to be prone to road rash, but once done I am not expecting it to be affected by vigorous washing with a MF wash mitt.

Actually looks like it might be quite tough.......

It'll handle that, no problem, but that's not really high pressure. If I get too close with my Karcher it'll cut rubber trim so Plastidip wouldn't stand a chance.

It'll handle that, no problem, but that's not really high pressure. If I get too close with my Karcher it'll cut rubber trim so Plastidip wouldn't stand a chance.

Never personally take the washer less than 6 inches away from any part of the car so hopefully that is sufficient distance - will have to give this a go if I ever get time........

I ordered 3 cans last night, my problem is as I have a sloping drive I have a problem jacking the car and getting the wheels off. So mat need to drive it to a car park, swap one wheel for the space-saver and do one at a time.

I've had despatch email too :blush: Think it was 48 hour service so we should get them this week.

My drive slopes in two directions if that makes sense and even with chocks on the wheels the car tends to move or the jack does even if it's lifted for a short time, so much so that usually when I've tried it in the past I can't get the wheel back on.