Plasti dip your car!

Rich

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got my IS200 winter alloys sprayed with Plastidip. Purchased a couple of rattle cans in matt black and a litre tin of green for use in a spraygun. The original green was a bit bright so I added some of the black until I achieved the shade needed. The pressure washer hasn't damaged the coating either and the alloys should be safe from the dreaded salt corrosion.

No need to mask off the tyres etc. as it's easy to peel off the areas that you do not want coated e.g. the inner mounting surface of the rim that sits on the hub.

Used the can for dipping the handles of a few tools. 'Dipping & dripping' is good for high build coating.

Also intend to de-chrome the IS-F window trims with matt black plastidip, and possibly the chrome badges. The badges can be done on the car, as once enough coats have been applied the plastidip can be peeled off from the bodywork around the badges, leaving the badges coated. If I don't like it then its just a peel off to go back to chrome.

I've got my IS200 winter alloys sprayed with Plastidip. Purchased a couple of rattle cans in matt black and a litre tin of green for use in a spraygun. The original green was a bit bright so I added some of the black until I achieved the shade needed. The pressure washer hasn't damaged the coating either and the alloys should be safe from the dreaded salt corrosion.

No need to mask off the tyres etc. as it's easy to peel off the areas that you do not want coated e.g. the inner mounting surface of the rim that sits on the hub.

Used the can for dipping the handles of a few tools. 'Dipping & dripping' is good for high build coating.

Also intend to de-chrome the IS-F window trims with matt black plastidip, and possibly the chrome badges. The badges can be done on the car, as once enough coats have been applied the plastidip can be peeled off from the bodywork around the badges, leaving the badges coated. If I don't like it then its just a peel off to go back to chrome.

I knew I'd read about someone doing it before, just remembered it was when I was going to paint the steelies on the Mondeo. Where did you buy your paint from, can you get any other colours apart from white, black, red, yellow etc?

I knew I'd read about someone doing it before, just remembered it was when I was going to paint the steelies on the Mondeo. Where did you buy your paint from, can you get any other colours apart from white, black, red, yellow etc?

Bought it all from Plastdip supplier Available in Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Black, Brown, White and Clear with Fluorescent Colours Available in Red, Yellow, Pink, Blue, Orange, Green, and Purple.

You can mix the base colours to produce different shades, so red & yellow produces a matt orange etc. Gloss clear can be applied over the matt coats if you want a shiny finish.

I reckon it would be a better alternative to regular underseal too as it forms an air and moisture tight film, that will not chip, crack or peel. Good for temperatures ranging from (minus) -34° Centigrade to (plus) +93° Centigrade, without losing elasticity. If it is damaged as an underseal it would be a simple matter to spray a 'patch'. Pretty heavy duty stuff if you spray on a few coats.

It's a bit like DiNoc film in that you'll have to resist the temptation to coat everything, something the guy that sprayed his MGTF succumbed to. :D

How can you mix the colours if using areosols though? I want to try bronze but don't have a spray gun.

In that case you cannot. I used a black aerosol to darken a tin of the green by simply spraying it into the can and giving it a stir.

thinking about this, the clear stuff may be useable as a stone protector, like the plastic stuff they stick on wheel arches etc. Thinking more along the lines of the nose cone.

h

thinking about this, the clear stuff may be useable as a stone protector, like the plastic stuff they stick on wheel arches etc. Thinking more along the lines of the nose cone.

h

Good idea. I was thinking of spraying a patch of matt black over the rear sill where the IS-F suffers from road rash, but a clear coat may be a better option if it still masks the light chipping in the paintwork which is already there.

Looks like I'm going down this route to try it out for now, probably black but maybe white. Terry, how many cans did you use in total on yours? Looking at the original thread he only used the 1 can to do all 4 wheels but I don't wanna be caught out otherwise I'm paying 2 lots of postage.

Looks like I'm going down this route to try it out for now, probably black but maybe white. Terry, how many cans did you use in total on yours? Looking at the original thread he only used the 1 can to do all 4 wheels but I don't wanna be caught out otherwise I'm paying 2 lots of postage.

I bought two aerosol cans of black and used a whole can and a little of the other, so two cans should be more than adequate.

Thanks Terry, 2 cans it is then. What kind of sandpaper do you think I should use to try and smooth the kerbing out?

Depends on the extent of the damage :) Presumably you don't need to get any ally welding done, but it may be necessary to give some areas a light tap with a small hammer if the edge is distorted. Then it's a fine file (I have a set of needle files of various shapes from Draper which would be ideal Needle files ).

Finish off with a suitable grade of wet & dry (use wet) or if the damage is really slight, the silicon carbide paper may be all you need.

Thanks Terry, 2 cans it is then. What kind of sandpaper do you think I should use to try and smooth the kerbing out?

You'll need more than sandpaper to sort that kerbing out as i said i'd have them blasted , then etch primer and then plasti-dip

Thats what i did with my old bike wheels

cb19.jpg

Would blasting them remove the kerbing then or just make it smoother, less visible?

The latter you may need to dress the edges a little with a file but it will get you a lot closer and best of all you will be able to check the wheels properly for cracks etc

Would blasting them remove the kerbing then or just make it smoother, less visible?

Blasting will not do anything for the kerb rash apart from cleaning the entire surface of the wheel surface back to bare metal which is extra expense and only really necessary if your are going to paint the rims rather than use PlastiDip.