A Massive Thank You

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to express a huge thanks to Tony and the team for an awesome service this weekend.

My Omega is transformed, handling wise, and holds the road/corners much, much better. Tramlining, pulling, and wobbling all solved.

I won't be going anywhere else for tyres or setup in future. Really, really chuffed.

Cheers again ;)

Don't talk to me about Event tyres, rubbish rubbish rubbish!!! :(

Rubbish in what respect mate? Wear rate / handling?

Granted, my driving style is not all that enthusiastic day to day, but equally I'm not miss Daisy, and as far as road noise / travel and grip is concerned, they seem fine at the moment :D

Don't talk to me about Event tyres, rubbish rubbish rubbish!!! :(

Rubbish in what respect mate? Wear rate / handling?

Granted, my driving style is not all that enthusiastic day to day, but equally I'm not miss Daisy, and as far as road noise / travel and grip is concerned, they seem fine at the moment :D

As in handling mate, I had them on the Mondeo and also the missus Pug 306 and they were terrible in the wet, I had no confidence in them at all. In dry weather they were fine but as soon as the road became damp they were really bad. These were the WL905 I think. I don't think they last long either, the fronts did about 7-8k miles.

I hated them, was glad to see them go...not as bad as Nankangs though, now there's a terrible tyre!

Well, if they get me through the summer, I'll be more than happy. I only average 12k a year...

Once these tyres are close to end of their life, I will be fitting some poly bushes in the wishbones, and coming back for another set up (and more tyres!) :(

Well, these reviews seem to be echo'ing what you say, racer. Every one of them, says they're ditchfinders in the wet: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Event/WL905.htm

Maybe it's just because they're new, but I did 300 miles after leaving WIM in some absolutely horrendous weather, yet still making progress. Aside of when I accelerated too hard on an icy road and had a very small rear-end jiggle (let's face it, no tyre would be expected not to wheelspin in the ice, with a 3.2 putting down some power)

I can't help thinking that, based on my experience so far, they might actually be quite well suited, to the vauxhall Omega. Ride is a little harder than it was before, but, I like that, as the feedback from the road is much better...

I will continue to monitor how they perform, but I have no concerns yet. They must be "scrubbed in" by now, and are still performing fine.

If they are still fine after a few miles, perhaps we can conclude that, for the RWD Omega, they are actually a worthwhile tyre!

I never knew the Omega was RWD, always thought it was FWD. You might find they get worse the more they wear, that's what I found anyway, lets hope they don't.

Those reviews are exactly what I experienced. No one would believe me when I told them I was losing traction at 10mph, they think I just need to slow down!! :(

Tyres are very opinionated. You said before that Falkens are not suited to the Omega and yet they are one of the most liked out there.

TBH Tony, I've never had Falkens on an Omega, I was just going on the word of ChrisGixer (Omegaowners) who had bad experiences.

I'm not complaining, promise. Am actually v v happy, it drives like a different car, and for the cost of the events, I don't think you'll go far wrong. :(

Reason for my posts, was mainly 'cos I'm rather hopeful if they continue to work out well, we could recommend them as a good value option to other Omega Owners :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi James, and all. Just a mention re Falkens, I found these a transformation on my first of 3 omegas. The 451( the older model?) was an exceptionally quiet tyre with a very comfy ride compared to Pirelli p6000 they replaced. This I liked at the time, however I then spent my next two years of omega ownership trying to get the damn thing to track straight.

Next set of tyres where 452 after learning about set up/wim bush issues on the car, camber settings etc etc. still wouldn't drive straight, tram lined quite badly.

Sold that car for another omega. 3.2 elite this time. Fitted 912 as the wear on 452 was poor and they didn't grip well either and the tyres that came with this car where knackered. Same problem. learned about rear bush problems on omegas, some improvement, but the inherent instability remaind.

Doing my nut by now, some kind members on omega owners forum lend me their wheels, both shod with worn out Dunlops, sp9000 and sport max. Totally transformed the car. It drove straight, felt planted and actually connected to the road even though the tread was barely legal. Some noise was a very small price to pay.

We re fitted the Falkens to my car and the Dunlpop owners drove it. One pronounced them Dangerous, and he was right. On a bouncy b road the 912 had a self imposed speed limit of 40, any faster and It was impossible to keep the car out of the ditch or the opposing lane.

Falkens binned with 50% tread remaing!

Sports contact 3 fitted, tracks straight as a die, good grip level, acceptable wear rate. Tad noisy.

I think perhaps Falkens are more suited to lighter, firmer sprung front wheel drive cars possibly...?

My problem was accepting a tyre could handle so badly. "can't be the tyres, they're brand new...must be the car" WRONG!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

13k+ now.

Fronts still very very good.

Rears - still well above wear markers, NSR starting to wear a little unevenly, and, dare I say, are not what they used to be in the wet.

Stilll, I've had more than my money's worth! And, having seen some of the tyres on recent death traps, mine have some life in them yet!! :D