Funky Mk3 Mondeo handling

ChannelZ

Hi folks.

I've a Mk3 Mondeo (1.8 petrol LX, so standard suspension). When I got it, the ride and handling was...well, to be kind, poor.

So, bought a set of Eibach springs (30mm lower) and a set of Monroe Reflex dampers. Things were fine, but ride was a bit bumpy and crashy.

I got the original springs put back in recently, still using the now rusting furiously Monroes, and also at the time new ARB links all round, and front wishbones and front top mounts.

Now the car is still quite bumpy, not really improved compared to when it was running on the Eibachs, and handling is drastically worse, particularly at the rear. The rear seems to wander quite a bit compared to before, and I've had two occasions of extreme oversteer, both at really quite low speeds. VERY unexpected, not pushing at all. One corner I've driven round a million times, sometimes well over 60mph. I got a real tank-slapper that I only JUST saved, and was doing a little over 40mph.

Tyres are the same ones I've had on for ages. On the summers (Hankook Ventus Primes) the handling is manageable. However, my winters (Dunlop Graspic DS3) the handling is beyond dodgy. I'm talking towards undriveable. At the moment I have summers on the back and winters on the front to make the car feel something like drivable.

Tracking had been checked. Rear subframe is fine. Wishbones are new, and all other joints are new.

So, what's with the funky handling? Dampers?

Ideally I'd like to go back to the Eibachs, with better ride, so I'm thinking different dampers. Can anyone recommend some decent dampers that'll give Ford-style comfort with decent handling? The Eibachs are Ford-supplied, for the car.

Hello and welcome to wim

Reads to me the rebound is totally to pot, so a damper issue. This also why it's oversteering because the tyre is leaving the ground on rebound.

Just to be sure did you get a printout on the alignment/ geometry to can display?

Hello and welcome to wim

Reads to me the rebound is totally to pot, so a damper issue. This also why it's oversteering because the tyre is leaving the ground on rebound.

Just to be sure did you get a printout on the alignment/ geometry to can display?

Thanks Tony.

I did think dampers was the issue. Any recommendations on replacements for these junk Monroes? Bilstein? Sachs? I'm looking OE spec again.

I did have a printout, but it escaped from the car one windy day. :(

At the moment I have summers on the back and winters on the front to make the car feel something like drivable.

This is not advised, you need to go all summer or all winter as soon as possible ( accepting your other issues ).

I had standard Motorcraft shocks with my Eibach springs and had no issues at all, so would be inclined to go with them. Are you 100% sure the rear subframe bushes are ok as alot of owners replace them for poly ones when they go?

Also as smartly said mixing tyres won't be helping.

Also as smartly said mixing tyres won't be helping.

Well, mixing tyres IS helping. It's keeping me on the road. :(

Yes, I accept mixing is a bad idea and not something I would normally entertain, but on all 4 winters handling is really very bad, and the uncertainty from the rear is unacceptable. It's an unideal situation replacing a bad one.

I think I'll just go Motorcraft or perhaps Sachs, and see how things go.