Geometry And Coilover Set Up

Hello all, welcome to my first post :)

I have a Toyota Starlet Glanza V Turbo, which is an import.

I have D2 coilovers fitted, which are fully adjustable. Now, I live in West Yorkshie, Huddersfield and would like recommendations on somewhere I can get my 4 wheel geometry set up, including camber etc, for fast road use.

It would be a bonus it they could set up coilovers for fast road use too! :)

One place I found was www.leda.com but they are 4 hours from me :)

I got my geometry setup at a certain place in Halifax I wont mention and my steering wheel is a little to the right when going in a straight line and my camber is different on each wheel, it turns to the left better than the right!

Please help me, I dont mind travelling....too far!

Cheers

Welcome fella B)

Probably the closest to you are Drury Lane just up the M62 in Manchester. Look in the main forum index for details.

I have to aggree Drury Lane rate very high on my list..... and it is a very short list!.... Oh and welcome Gee ;)

Thanks guys.

Do they set up coilovers there too?

Yes they do... please keep us apprised with events.

Will do mate. Try and get there as soon as I can. After reading through your website, its obvious you know ur s***! Sorry for the langauge! <_<

So if you have recommended them, they must be good.

If interested, heres my car:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Gee...0V/DSCF1254.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Gee...0V/DSCF1255.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Gee...0V/DSCF1262.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Gee...0V/DSCF1253.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Gee...0V/DSCF1249.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Gee...0V/DSCF1247.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Gee...0V/DSCF1245.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Didnt realise, will do :D

Waiting on my panhard rod to come then will get it all set up. Im sure the panhard rod wont be a problem for them.

OK, got my panhard rod today.

When you say they setup coilovers, do they actually setup the damping and ride height etc? If I basically say "set me up for dast road use", will they set the damping, camber, toe etc?

I also what the preload set to '0', would they do this?

Didnt realise, will do :D

Waiting on my panhard rod to come then will get it all set up. Im sure the panhard rod wont be a problem for them.

OK, got my panhard rod today.

When you say they setup coilovers, do they actually setup the damping and ride height etc? If I basically say "set me up for dast road use", will they set the damping, camber, toe etc?

I also what the preload set to '0', would they do this?

Yes.......... explain what you want, where you found the point of contact and they will deliver all. Drury are no1 on my 'Trusted centres' for good reason....... i would not recommend without 100% trust and Drury are 100% able.

From my own experience, setting up coilovers is not just a plug-and-play. After the initial installation they need to settle for a couple hundred miles, remeasured, adjusted and then settle again. After that you'll need to check the geometry and maybe even do some more adjusting until your right is right for you.

From my own experience, setting up coilovers is not just a plug-and-play. After the initial installation they need to settle for a couple hundred miles, remeasured, adjusted and then settle again. After that you'll need to check the geometry and maybe even do some more adjusting until your right is right for you.

Wise words indeed Governor.... I had made deliberate attempts to 'map' the settling using donor cars in the hope this would deliver a true indication for other owners.... this involves

1: Lower, measure then recover

500 miles later

2: Measure, recover then calculate the change in the geometry positions

1000 miles later

3: Measure, recover and again calculate the change

1000 miles later

4: Measure..... and then their was no real recovery

5: Measure...... same

6: Measure...... same

7: ongoing

So born from this i could establish the settling period. But there is a problem. If you go from stage one and recover the geometry, but miss two and three then the tyres would definitely wear. The next consideration is that if you were to complete each stage then this would cost you money each time! The process shown here was for LOC and the 'mapping' was free.

In Business terms it would be wise to offer a settling fee, this would involve an initial higher cost but assume future corrections paid for until the car settles albeit five or ten measurements.

To add my little bit to the above. The set up will settle with time/miles as said above.

The pre-load and damping settings are very much personal to the type of roads you drive on and how you drive.

Your car will lend valuable information toward others that might follow the same path (when released)...... in view of how things evolved time and time again was you surprised how the coils affected the Geom.

To add my little bit to the above. The set up will settle with time/miles as said above.

The pre-load and damping settings are very much personal to the type of roads you drive on and how you drive.

Your car will lend valuable information toward others that might follow the same path (when released)...... in view of how things evolved time and time again was you surprised how the coils affected the Geom.

Bit of a mission these coilovers arent they! In all honesty I dont even know what preload is, how does it work? BTW, I understand what you mean with letting them settle etc, but I dont fancy going back at cost 10 times. So...I was thinking..get them set up...settle...go back again and thats it?

Do I really need to go back so many times? Obviously for perfection yes, but Im not racing driver, go on track like 3 times a year max (or planning to)...would it be worth it?

Bit of a mission these coilovers arent they! In all honesty I dont even know what preload is, how does it work? BTW, I understand what you mean with letting them settle etc, but I dont fancy going back at cost 10 times. So...I was thinking..get them set up...settle...go back again and thats it?

Do I really need to go back so many times? Obviously for perfection yes, but Im not racing driver, go on track like 3 times a year max (or planning to)...would it be worth it?

You just need to consider the fact that when the coils a fitted the Geo will be wrong.... after a 1000ish miles the coils would be near to settled, but in between the tyres could wear. At the end of the day it would be worth it!

only use them for the times the car isnt being set up for geo, basically fit the springs, slap on the old wheels, drive around the m25 4 or 5 times, come home, put your lovely alloys back on and get your geo set up

Solid idea Dan... would Discounts consider supplying (Disposable) tyres for this purpose?.. understand i am not endorsing second hand tyres, just tyres that would commit to this cause.

we do keep old tyres that are changed but still have tread left anyway, although the selection is limited and we dont have many full sets of 4. what we tend to use them for is if a car comes in and needs a tyre that we havent got we can lend them a 'runner' until the tyre come into us,