Those stupid exhaust tips

Tango

My IS-F appears to share my views on its shiny cosmetic exhaust pipe trims as it decided to part company with one of them today, somewhere between home and Gloucester. I cannot recall anything falling off any of my previous cars, including a Lotus :huh: and its not something I thought was possible with a Lexus :D

It'll be an interesting discussion with the Lexus Service Manager tomorrow, wish me luck :wacko:

My IS-F appears to share my views on its shiny cosmetic exhaust pipe trims as it decided to part company with one of them today, somewhere between home and Gloucester. I cannot recall anything falling off any of my previous cars, including a Lotus :huh: and its not something I thought was possible with a Lexus :D

It'll be an interesting discussion with the Lexus Service Manager tomorrow, wish me luck :wacko:

Its suffering the mg-tf syndrome :lol:

That's not good, hopefully they'll just give you a new one. Did the Lexus think it was a Lancia for a bit? :wacko:

Why does the IS-F have exhaust trims anyway, aren't the pipes stainless steel?

When the exhaust design is integrated into the rear bumper the exhaust tips are often part of the bumper (not really sure why, perhaps to prevent it melting the bumper?). The IS-F got a lot of criticism when it was launched for the exhaust tips not being connected to the actual exhausts.

Lambos and similar have the same set up I believe.

1_is.jpg

It's got to be to prevent heat transfer to the bumper, by having an air gap there will cut down heat transfer along the pipe as there will be an air gap. Also, allows them to build heat shield into the bumper part of the trim.

The Lexus Cheltenham Service Manager didn't even hesitate on telling me he'd order one immediately as a warranty issue -_- Still miffed it fell off though as it didn't feel loose anytime I washed the car.

It's got to be to prevent heat transfer to the bumper, by having an air gap there will cut down heat transfer along the pipe as there will be an air gap. Also, allows them to build heat shield into the bumper part of the trim.

The IS-F generates a LOT of heat. Joe Z in the States manufactured carbon fibre exhaust trims that slipped over the IS-F stainless steel ones but has since stopped supplying them as some peeps managed to melt them.

I know the cats put out a lot of heat as I've had to put hardboard over the garage floor tiles under the car to stop the tiles from expanding with the radiated heat and lifting.