Photographing Fireworks

phipck

It seems i only get one 5 minute chance each year to try and gain more experience photographing one of my favorite visual treats. Ive read many good pieces of advice several times over but when it comes to that short burst of excitement it seems to not always pay off.

So this year instead of grabbing my tripod and setting myself up propperly i decided to have a year off and just enjoy a night out with my partner and her son at a local fireworks disply but my trusty Sony DSLR as always did take the trip with us but only to capture the normaly happy family snaps we all oooh and ahhh over in years to come.

The bonfire was huge and there were all sorts of little stalls etc which was really nice and when i heard over the tanoy that over £4000 had been spent on the fireworks i decided to take a couple of shots but without my normal obsession with the settings and as there was a tree line between me and the fireworks i wasnt expecting great things.

I set the shutter speed to about 1.5 seconds and left the apature alone, the first few were as always ok, not as good as i know is possible with my camera but kind of the results ive managed for the last few years and i was happy that i hadnt gotten worse :huh:

dsc02825z.jpg

dsc02826bg.jpg

dsc02827q.jpg

dsc02834h.jpg

dsc02836g.jpg

dsc02852vj.jpg

dsc02856rp.jpg

the fireworks carried on so i thought i would take a second to thumb through and noticed the focus was a little out (its really hard to know where to focus before a firework is going off.....aiming at a black sky, then once its going off its often too late! plus i wear glasses which can complicate things) So i tweeked my focal point a little and adjusted the shutter speed and apature and kept shooting till the fireworks were done.

I tend to try and take photographs that i enjoy, its my hobby and therefor i feel the images i capture should either reflect me or tickle my fancy. This is one of the rare occasions ive managed to satisfy my own interests with the results of my photography and i think its more down to being relaxed and enjoying myself with my family rather than fussing over petty details...... i live and learn -_-

only the images im particularly pleased with go onto my flickr account so heres they are :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17659615@N02/...57627950615893/

thanks -_-

i really didnt think it was going to be as big as it was, ive visited Tebury wells a couple of times and its really tiny, simpy a slightly over grown village street so wasnt expecting such a long display. Im glad i went now though, the £5 entry was worth it i feel :huh:

the colours, well many of the fireworks were indeed quite plain white. As mentioned before though, different peoples screens will display colours differently and most of the pics do have blues and reds trickled through them. The distance thing is my fault, i forget some times that i dont view photos the same way others do, im using a 40" calibrated tv as my computer monitor so that i can view the pictures poster size with accurate colour, which is how i would also print them.

Its really quite a nice way to view photographic work as many pieces are printed on large format printers and it gives you a chance to see how it would be.... but while at work they do look a little sparkly and small rather than eruptious and bright on my 17" monitor :(