Gamiths Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto 2002

GamithUK

Ok, well I have had this for a month now, so I'm still getting started.

My first car was a Hillman Hunter, but after that I have always had Citroens; GS(A)s, Visa, BXs and lastly a Berlingo, so this is my first non-Citroen, though still French :-)

The Berlingo was my first new car, though it was got on the Motability scheme since my son is disabled. It turns out that aside from the free servicing the Motability scheme isn't for us (since my wife didn't get her driving license as we planned) so when it went back it was time to look around.

I was initially after a C5 2.0 auto exclusive, but it turns out they were never made (only in the lowest LX trim), so next up was a Xsara Picasso, but all the good ones got sold before I could get to them, so I ended up finding my car at a dealership in Harrow - £1400 for a 2002 scenic in cherry red (apparantly - it looks more burgundy to me) with a previous driver that was disabled. It has done 73k miles, so well below average, in pretty good nick from what I could see, so the deal was done.

No disasters yet, but I have so far:

1) Fitted a new MP3 playing radio in place of the cassette player/ radio/ CD multi-changer setup. I found a coimpany doing a kit which included a fascia and adapter cable for the control stalk on the steerhing column.

2) Fitted a Maplins reversing sensor kit - the fitting could have gone better since the outer sensors are facing out, so beep me about the cars on either side of a parking space, but they do the job ok.

3) Fitted replacement front brake pads - piece of wee-wee compared to doing the same on a Citroen, but the first time I've had to worry about a separate reservoir just for the brakes :-)

4) A clean (i.e. vacuum) - which didn't reveal much aside from 5p in the spare wheel well :-(

5) Cleaned out the sludge in the scuttle below the windscreen since water was getting to the passenger footwell, and removed the rubber flap that cover the drain hole. Todays rain is not inside so yey!

6) Replaced the wipers, front and rear - good thing I did since I have been using them a lot recently.

7) Got a cheap (£15 from ebay) diagnostics scanner that shows no codes - I just hope it's actually working :-)

Anyway, my 6 year old son loves the car, wanting to be in all the seats simultaneously I think, and my wife loves the colour, so that's good.

It's certainly a flexible car - the three rear seats move front and back (handy for when my sons wheelchair gets larger), I can use the storage under the rear seats for tools, parts, the second emergency triangle and the like. The fire extinguisher fits very nicely in the 'bottle holders' behind the rear seat, it has auto air-con, twin tilt-slide sunroofs, tow-bar, PAS. ABS and other buttons (such as the power to stop the rear electric windows by being used by kids - muahaha </evil cackle>).

It doesn't have cruise control nor folding mirrors, which I found useful on the Berlingo since I could tell whether it was locked or not.

The only issues I have with the car are:

1) It pulls to the left a little - I only really notice it on motorways

2) There is a slight judder when at speed, and at 70 it gets quite severe,

So I'm booked in tomorrow (saturday) at 11am for WIM to see what they can see because:

I took it down to our local Renault Dealership to find out if there were any outstanding recalls on it (there weren't) and for them to do an alignment check. They weren't able to do it due to the nearside track rod end being seized (the lock-nut is OK), so they gave it a quick once-over and said it otherwise looked fine. They recommended a blow-torch to un-seize the track rod end, but since neither they or I have one 'handy' they just charged me £30 for the inspection.

I had also contacted the people that had done the last service and found that the cam-belt was 'only' 3 1/2 years old so I don't need to worry just yet.

The last MoT showed and advisory, but I had to visit Direct.gov.uk to get the information that it was that all the brake pads were getting thin. I have done the fronts and I will do the rears when I get a non-rainy weekend day - when we aren't visiting people, shopping, going on a day out or whatever else comes up.

I think that is it for now - I'll update on my WIM visit, and I hope there won't be anything too serious and that the un-seizing goes OK. I hope to be able to get a quick look underneath as well, just to see if there is anything obvious that I need to worry about..

Time to stop rambling I think :-)

I forgot to add - since I commute by rail to south London the car doesn't get normally get used much, mainly local shopping trips (in 3 years the Berlingo did just over 13k miles) but in the four weeks the scenic has gone:

Watford to

Kettering,

Rushden,

Stoke-on-Trent,

And several longer trips than usual - it's had quite a busy first few weeks.

ttfn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum mate :)

Nice blog you've started. I have to admit I'm not a French car fan but the missus Dad had one of these for a couple of years and it was pretty reliable. The only thing I don't like about them is the rear individual seats, you need to be super slim to fit in them comfortably! :lol:

Nice blog, thanks for that.

Sorry to haver missed you Saturday but i have a few personal issues ar you may have read.

@ER, guess which is the least comment car we see at wim?

French :lol:

Welcome to the forum mate :)

Nice blog you've started. I have to admit I'm not a French car fan but the missus Dad had one of these for a couple of years and it was pretty reliable. The only thing I don't like about them is the rear individual seats, you need to be super slim to fit in them comfortably! :lol:

I found that - they look Ok until you get in them and then you think 'hold on these aren't as big as they look" - it's as thought they are 3/4 size or something.

Still - fine for a child seat and the occasional extra passeneger (but not 2 extra passengers :-) )

ttfn

Nice blog, thanks for that.

Sorry to haver missed you Saturday but i have a few personal issues ar you may have read.

@ER, guess which is the least comment car we see at wim?

French :lol:

No worries about missing you - I probably would just have had a go about giving up smoking and sorting yourself out first, so it's probably for the best :-)

As for french cars the reason I started driving them was because of the hydraulics - though they can be a pain when they go wrong (which to be fair wasn't often) they also allowed me to carry my armour, tent, cannon and the like when I was doing medieval re-enactment.

Other cars would not have been stable or even level.

Also the GS(A)s, with their double-wishbone suspension, high-revving air-cooled rotary engine, adjustable ride-height and all round disk brakes were a _lot_ of fun for a young person like me to fling around.

Later cars got a lot more boring until I have ended up with this.

Oh - and as you may surmise, I'm not a speed freak dedicated to running a 4million bhp racing car around the roads :-)

ttfn

how is the car now ? :lol:

Oh yeah I'd better mention that I guess :-)

From what I can tell the wobble has gone, though I was only able to go at 50mph on the way back, so I need to check that properly.

The left-pull is also not apparant, but I need to test that also.

Aside from the issues I went in with the car seems to have a much better grip on the road than it used to - reminds my of the time I found that one of my front tyres was at 15psi and the other at 40. The car, a GS, felt much improved after getting that sorted :-)

There is that slight rumble of tyres with brand new treads - nice...

To be fair I think the car was pretty Ok to start with, Peter seemed happy that there was nothing too far out of spec. After the n/s track rod was freed up the total toe alignment was changed from 0.32' to 0.08' - I have no idea if that is significant, it seems pretty tiny to me.

Money well spent? yes.. not only two new front tyres (backs have plenty of life in) and alignment checked (so I am more confident that it hasn't suffered an accident that wasn't reported), but I also had a good look underneath while it was up on the scissor jack and no major leaks or damage were apparant.

Obviously I'm not going to be taking it around Silverstone any time soon, but for my modest needs the car is as well set up as it needs to be, so I can now concentrate on the usual servicing items and ensuring that my family will be mobile for the foreseeable future.

In the near future I need to replace the rear brake pads - I already have the special piston re-winding tool needed - make sure the coolant is up to winter spec and maybe give it a precautionary oil and filter change and stock up on ignition coils, since they seem to be a regular issue with Renaults.

Maybe when I win the lottery I'll get an SM and see what you guys think of a Maseratti powered Citroen :-)

ttfn

First car I drove after passing my test was a Renault Scenic and had a lot of fun in it!

It was however the first and last French car in our household - nothing but trouble from when we bought it brand new.

Hope you have none of the same problems though!

Cheers - thanks for wishes.

I'm hoping that since the vehicle is pretty well run in by now that all the major issues are done and dusted with by now - I have always wondered if cars are more, or less, reliable when they get older (given equivalent servicing of course).

One thing though, is that since I am used to working on Citroens the regular tasks will be far more straight-foward (the front brake pads were an absolute doddle compared to a GS or BX), it's the tasks that needs special equipment that will be the pain :-)

ttfn

Oh yeah I forgot to mention - the TRE wasn't seized at all.

<After working out that TRE means Track Rod End - doh!>

Wierd - what were Renault on about then I wonder? Well at least the alignment is sorted so it's not that.

Is there anything else that's down there that could seize?

oh - don't tell me they were trying to tighten it up rather then loosen it?

ttfn

Last thing last night I remembered that the wheels on my car had those security bolts on - obviously it wasn't a problem, but can you pass on a 'sorry' to the guys who did my tyres for not mentioning it.

ttfn

Reads about right...... Yet another HOTW example :lol:

I was hoping my car would stay out of that part of the forum :-)

Annoying though since it puts a black mark on my local Renault dealership on my very first trip, in my mind at least. Either they are incompetant, lying or very confused.

Oh well - it really just re-enforces my view that dealerships need to be treated with a touch of caution, mainly because their primary aim is to sell me a new car..

I have also just remembered another job - clearing out the sunroof drains, apparantly that can be another source of water in the cabin, so best to sort it before it happens.

ttfn

Last thing last night I remembered that the wheels on my car had those security bolts on - obviously it wasn't a problem, but can you pass on a 'sorry' to the guys who did my tyres for not mentioning it.

ttfn

I found it under you're spare wheel :huh:

I found it under you're spare wheel :huh:

sshhh - I have a patent pending on that idea, keeping the bits together :-)

The car came with them fitted and the adaptors were in the glovebox.

Do people really nick alloys? especially 9 years old ones like mine? as far as I can see they are more trouble then they are worth.

ttfn

Update - rear brakes..

Since the weather is 'nice' - warm enough and not raining I decided to renew the rear brake pads. I had done the front a week ago due to the last MoT advisory and found them to be OK, but what the hey.

First think was to turn the car round in the driveway and run it in nose-first and then put the ramps under the front to act as chocks.

First problem - the ramps wouldn't fit under the bodywork, so some improvised chocks out of wood later and we have the handbrake off and in P.

Open bonnet, take off the top of the brake reservoir, and put it into a little plastic tray that started life in a Chinese order.

Oh - and take my ring off.

Loosen wheel nuts - surely these should be called wheel bolts by now? (easy compared to steels since they are only done up to 90Nm) - and don't forget to use the security adapter for one of the bolts, at least I know where that is kept :-) (apologies again for not mentioning that before leaving you)

Next find one place for the trolley jack and another for the axle stand. First one is easy but the second isn't happening. Ah - turns out the sill has hollow bit by it's jacking point, just the right size for an axle stand, and the rear axle has a nice lip that will stop the trolley jack from rolling out form underneath - excellent..

Now for the offside - bugger! the fuel tank gets in the way (a few more buggers are uttered) ah, if I turn the axle stand top around and put some weight on it we're good to go.

Right - wheel bolts are loosened so now it's take them out and put them in a safe location.

OK - a quick look at the manual and then disconnect the handbrake cable (with the aid of mole-grips) and take out the two bolts holding the calliper to the pad holder. Then tie the calliper to anything to stop it falling, luckily there is a screw end above that does the job.

Take out the two pads and the anti-squeal plates (easy - especially with a screwdriver) and then attack the piston to get it back into place. This is a little tricky since they are attached to the handbrake and therefore have a ratchet mechanism to take up the slack - this needs to be wound back. Luckily I have a special tool which I whip out and lubricate up.

OK (after much faffing around since it's the first time I have used this tool) so the key to using this special tool is to take the large plate off the device and get the plate with the lugs lined up with the notches on the piston. Then (after making sure it's wound in all the way) you can push the large plate back into place so that it rests against the calliper - then start turning.

Easy-peasy - the rear pistons obviously displaces less fluid that the fronts since winding them back doesn't cause any fluid loss from the reservoir - in fact I only took out a little to make sure the cap, which has a level sensor in it, can go back OK.

Right - piston is pushed back, now time for the new pads - but I need to fit the anti-squeal pads first, which involves a few taps with a small hammer. after that the pads just push into place, the calliper can be swung back (after taking out the holding wire - doh) and done up with the two supplied bolts.

Then it's the torque wrench - 32Nm on the calliper bolts.

Put the cap on the brake reservoir back on, re-attach the hand-brake cable, and get in the drivers seat to press the brake pedal a few times and make sure the handbrake is working.

Put the wheel back and out with the torque wrench again (90Nm seems hardly anything compared to steels).

Undo the brake reservoir cap and then do the other side.

Then it's using the trolley jack to take the weight off the axle stands so they can be removed (taking the pin out makes that a lot quicker) and once the car is back on rubber it's a good idea to make sure the handbrake is released and done up again, since if it was on when the car gets lowered the cable gets put under tension by the suspension moving back into place.

All the tools go back and after a quick scrub and change of clothing (and lunch) I take the car out for a very quick check. It will take a while for the pads to wear in, but at least the slack is taken up and the reservoir is full.

I also took the opportunity to clear the 4 drain slots in the sill with a tie-wrap - no gush of water though.

And that's it - brake pads renewed, geometry all checked, new tyres on the front and everything working.

Next thing will be a 'service': engine oil drain and re-fill, spark plugs removed and gaps checked, air & oil filters replaced.

Now for the professionals to start saying 'no - you don't do it like that!' :-)

ttfn

• 1 month later...

Update:

I hadn't used the car for almost two weeks and the weather had started to get cold. I was told to go and visit some friends by the wife, who was having a 'corset party' and they didn't want men around (though I said I would be good and everything! :-( ) so got home from work, had lunch and got into the car and drove off.

Well I would have done but the 'auto' gearbox light came on and the car really didn't want to move. :-(

So I stuck the the gearbox into first and that sorted it out - snuck out of the driveway and away I went - worrying about the light, but not enough to do anything about it.

Got to said friends and switched off, then back on again and the light didn't come on this time, so I thought 'good' - as you do.

The following morning got back into the car to drive back and was glad to see the light didn't come on this time - but at some point in the return journey the light came back on, so I stopped and switched the engine off and on again and it went away.

hmm - a visit to the Renault forums showed that this was not a unique problem, and in fact people had been changing gearboxes, oil and the like and the problem still remained. After a while it emerged that an item called the EVM was the most likely culprit and it was pretty simple to change, though a Renault re-program might be needed for the new module which is more reliable than the stock one.

Since then it has been to Chippenham and back as well, as around town a couple of times, with no problems at all so I am hoping that it's something that can be put off until I get the opportunity to get the job done properly. I have found a company near Chippenham funnily enough that seems a good bet, but it still seems rather far to go.

So that's the story thus far, though I can also report that the car performs flawlessly (for a Renault Scenic) at 70 and a little above so the drift and vibration have definitely gone, which is really nice. I found myself at 75 a couple of times without realising it or being worried about stability or control - though that was only for overtaking and I went back to 70 when I had finished over-taking.

I miss the cruise control from the Berlingo though it's nice to be able to turn my head and actually see out - the Berlingo has really large A and B pillars which are in just the wrong place some times.

ttfn

• 1 month later...

I haven't used the scenic for at least two weeks, got into it this morning and it wouldn't start - even the doors didn't want to unlock.

The battery read at just over 6v so there is a drain somewhere :-(

Looks as though the solar charger isn't connected to the battery after all .. so I ended up putting the battery on charge and then taking the top of the dashboard off (just 3 nuts!) and finding another feed - hopefully this one will be Ok.

The strange thing is that the red blinking light on the dashboard has been perfectly visible at night, though maybe that could be fine with 6v in any case.

sigh - maybe I should have held out for a Xsara picasso...

ttfn