Gamiths Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto 2002

GamithUK

Shortly (when there is a dry saturday and we're not booked to do something) I will be doing a cam belt & water pump change on my twin cam. 

The kit (including water pump) was purchased from ebay and there's a special tool to hold the cam and crank shafts at TDC, and I am going through all the sections of the Haynes manual to put together a crib list procedure, tightening order and torque settings etc.

The only real question I have is about the water pump seal - the kit has a 'paper' gasket, but Haynes only mentions putting a loctite 518 sealant around the pump mating faces.

What is the wisdom on this:

1) Forget gasket and use loctite 518 on mating faces

2) Forget loctite and use gasket

3) use loctite on gasket

My inclination is number 1, but I am open to opinions.

The job is a lot more than I am used to (last did one of these about 15 years ago on my air-cooled Citroen GS(A)s) - there are replacement pulleys, cam shaft seals and the belt has no markings, so I need some tippex this time as well.

ttfn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No this stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYLOMAR-UNIVERSAL-BLUE-GASKET-JOINTING-COMPOUND-SEALANT-100g-FUEL-RESISTANT-/221156317650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item337df199d2

Put a blob between your forefinger and thumb and give both sides of the gasket a thin coat by dragging the gasket between your fingers

• 4 weeks later...

Ok well - that didn't go quite to plan. :-(

Got as far as the 'jam a screwdriver into the ring-gear to lock the crankshaft prior to undoing the pulley bolt' and couldn't get the TDC sensor out - the two bolts came out Ok and the sensor was loose, but it just wouldn't come out.

It didn't help that it's a different design to the one in Haynes - the bolt holes have threaded sleeves and it undoes on the engine side - not on the gearbox side.

The Haynes manual shows a sensor like this: http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/_User-folders/vBulletinImg/%7B29268D0F-E9B3-4973-B600-ED734F0E8C30%7D.jpeg but my one is like this (a far as I can tell): http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/fordtwo1/2008-11-30_164253_TDC1.jpg

So - couldn't get the TDC sensor out (and even if I did I couldn't see how to get a screwdriver in there anyway) so I put everything back in again and packed all the tools away.

What a palaver - and a world of difference from my GSA, and my BX come to that. 

Can anyone recommend a garage that can do a cambelt/ water pump change for a reasonable cost? 

ttfn

Oh dear........ What about Fairway who are in Watford.

Cheers Tony,

I have sent them an email (ie used their website contact form) and we'll see what they say.

From what I can see Mr. Clutch in Watford are to be avoided - does anyone have personal experience of them?

ttfn

I don't like the "or so" bit...... I  would be inclined to go with the £300.

The 'or so' are my words to stop myself from quoting exactly. I'm actually going with Alterstart in any case since they will pick up and drop off my car, and though they are 'more expensive' the service is worth it to me, or I'll have a job driving it myself or have to take a day or two off work.

To be honest £300 doesn't seem to be too bad at all, it's apparantly a 4hr book-time job, but I'm more interested in getting the job done properly.

I haven't bothered asking Renault since the steering adjustment episode, which is the only bit of garaging contact I have had with them. If they can't get that right then I won't trust them with something that can break the car big time.

I have tried finding reviews on them and have not had any luck, so I will have to take a chance.

ttfn