TTE Kitted '03 Toyota Corolla T Sport

Rich

Won the car on ebay Tuesday night after viewing it Sunday evening for £2,000. Collected it Friday evening and so far I'm very happy with it. It has the full TTE bodykit, lowered, window deflectors, Alpine headunit (worth £190) and handsfree kit installed. The car is on 73,000 miles nearly and has part service history. Here's a quick photo the last owner took. Mine are to follow when it's been cleaned.

IMAG0035.jpg

When I looked at it on Sunday everything seemed good but obviously there will always be some bits you miss. Checking the tyre pressures this morning I noticed one wheel was missing a locking nut, had 4 normal ones instead. The edge around the hole is badly chipped as well so it looks like the nut broke. They're those silly tri locking nuts, which I hate as I've had 2 break on me before so they're getting replaced for McGard ones.

I checked both seats slide forward but I found out yesterday that the drivers doesn't move forward when tilting it to let someone in the back so I need to find out what's causing that.

All of the brakes are looking quite low so going to replace those, shouldn't be anymore than £190 looking on ebay. All of the tyres are mixed, a Dunlop, Continental, Bridgestone and a budget. All of the tread is around 2mm so they need replacing as well fairly soon but I'm not sure whether to stick winter tyres on (they're expensive in this size) or get some summer ones. I would bin the tyres on there so storage wouldn't be an issue for the time being, it's just finding the cash next year for another 4 tyres.

Checked all of the fluids this morning. The oil was on the minimum so that promptly got topped up and I'll have to keep an eye on it if I use lift alot! :crying_anim: The coolant level was on minimum so I've added some water and will need some anti freeze to top it up. The brake fluid level is halfway between min and max so will top that up when I replace them. Should it be on max though?

Spotted a few annoying things like a bolt missing for the engine cover so it's abit lose and one of the covers for the rear light (inside boot) is missing but I'm sure I can find those somewhere.

The front number plate needs replacing as it's water damaged but I'm not sure whether to go for the square ones or normal ones. I like the look of the square plate but I think it makes the car more noticeable?

I checked both seats slide forward but I found out yesterday that the drivers doesn't move forward when tilting it to let someone in the back so I need to find out what's causing that.

thats normal on jap cars my Skyline was the same

Looking nice though

Only mods I'm planning are to tint the windows, make or buy an induction kit (the better ones are £200!) and maybe a stainless exhaust.

thats normal on jap cars my Skyline was the same

Looking nice though

The passenger side moves forward when you tilt it though! :crying_anim:

Looks o.k

2mm on tyres, so you've got .4 of legal tread then? i think they will need replacing sooner rather than later.

When I say 2mm, I mean from the wear indicator, which is where I always measure so I have more than .4 of legal tread :sad01_anim: As they're all mixed brands though I'd rather replace with matching, at least on one axle for now anyway.

Looks nice mate, your always going to find little things on 03 plate car mate, re the '' The brake fluid level is halfway between min and max so will top that up when I replace them. Should it be on max though?'' i would leave it for now, as you saying you going to replace the brakes, if you top up the fluid you may fine you have to much when you change the pads, as you will be pushing the brake piston back making the fluid level rise again, if you see what i mean ?

Yes the passenger side but not the drivers side the thought being its safer for passengers to get in and out on the nearside

If that's true that's some weird logic! If it's unsafe drivers seat shouldn't tilt at all, makes no sense to say it's less safe but then enable yet make it more difficult to exit from the driver's side!

Yes the passenger side but not the drivers side the thought being its safer for passengers to get in and out on the nearside

Well if that is the case it explains why it won't slide but both seats slide in my mates Toyota Yaris :crying_anim:

Looks nice mate, your always going to find little things on 03 plate car mate, re the '' The brake fluid level is halfway between min and max so will top that up when I replace them. Should it be on max though?'' i would leave it for now, as you saying you going to replace the brakes, if you top up the fluid you may fine you have to much when you change the pads, as you will be pushing the brake piston back making the fluid level rise again, if you see what i mean ?

That's a good point actually, forgot the level will go up with the new pads so I'll top it up then :crying_anim:

nice motor mate!! look forward to seeing more pics!......oh and dont forget, Mr T reccomends red coolant :thumbsup_anim:

Really busy with work ATM and stripping the Mondeo so better photos will be in a couple of weeks probably!

Got told about the red coolant last night so gonna pop down to the motorfactors and try to get some. I'll probably do a complete flush and put fresh stuff in seeing that it was so low. Might've just been topped with water for all I know but I have a tester as well.

Yeah don't top-up brake fluid dude. If it's low it's for a reason - probably worn-ish friction bits.

From what I can see the front pads are fairly low, I'm gonna order some new discs and pads all round though. I'd imagine when the pistons are pushed back it will go back up.

Got another slight issue with the oil dipstick. When I pull it out the oil is smearing up it and I can't tell exactly where the level is...any ideas?

Some dipstick tubes can be disconnected lower down, worth a look. Is the stick bent in one place and therefore rubbing somewhere? Is the oil the right consistency? Just thinking aloud. It could also be a dipstick cleaner on the top of the tube that's rubbing ( seen that before now ).

very nice mate..there 1 up my road...has trd all over it lol...

Cheers...everytime I drive it I'm loving it even more :thumbsup_anim:

Some dipstick tubes can be disconnected lower down, worth a look. Is the stick bent in one place and therefore rubbing somewhere? Is the oil the right consistency? Just thinking aloud. It could also be a dipstick cleaner on the top of the tube that's rubbing ( seen that before now ).

All good ideas for me to check, thanks.

Ive just seen your new motor mate...looks really good.! :D

Not been on WIM for a while due to health etc so catching up with things ATM... :(

ive seen a few with the TRD/TTE body kit and think they look great and bet its fun to drive.?

Be good to see it sometime and you can take me for a test drive.! :D

Cheers Daz, I'm very happy with the car...abit thirsty though if you use lift alot! Did 140 miles the other day of fast motorway driving and used lift a few times when taking my Dad and Brother out...I got 28mpg :rolleyes: Still if I wanted more MPG I would've bought the 1.4 D4D...I think it's time I had a motor with abit of power.

I've ordered from Toyota, the following:

2 x new lift bolts (they can snap with wear)

Rocker gasket

Oil filter

Sump bolt and washer

5L oil

5L coolant

Also going to order new number plates (normal shape) new brakes all round and get some winter tyres fitted in a couple of weeks. Plus I want to get the MOT done before December so going to be busy.

It needs a good machine polish as well, has alot of swirls but even worse is the marring, looks horrid in the sun.

Last tankful i measured in the Evo i got 26mpg :rolleyes::)

What are lift bolts??

Maybe so but the car is more expensive, the insurance is more expensive, the parts are more expensive, the tax is more expensive!! :) That was only a guess anyway from how much I put in, I need to fill the tank properly and work it out manually.

It's a VVTL (Variable Valve Timing & Lift) engine. When you reach 6200rpm lift kicks in, although I've not read up on how it works yet I think the lift bolts raise the cams and allows an instant extra 50bhp once you hit 6200.

I spotted this cooling plate on Prolex earlier and also this rad cap. Looks like the car has both of these on, plus the alloy oil filler cap. I didn't realise the plate was there for that reason, just for show. The guy I bought this from obviously didn't do his homework, he could've got more for this car or sold the mods at least, not that I'm complaining B)

post-438-1318612258.jpg

How much is the tax then ??

Ah yours is a pre 2001 isn't it, so my tax is £30 more! :lol: