Anglesey Abbey (Near Cambridge) Part 1

Sagitar

We spent Friday at Anglesey Abbey. It's a place that I find good for photography all the year round. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision to go, driven by the early sunshine and the desire to get some autumnal pictures. I had the winter garden in mind mainly and the day started with a great disappointment because the winter garden was closed while they resurfaced the paths. I was particularly irritated because I had checked on their website before leaving home and found no indication that it would not be open.

I managed to sneak into the very end of the winter garden through the "back gate" and got this single picture of the white birches, which served only to make me realise what I was missing.

20111014-Anglesey-1.jpg

However, there was lots else to see

20111014-Anglesey-2.jpg

The cyclamen along the walk by the mill stream were very colourful

20111014-Anglesey-3.jpg

The mill was open, but it wasn't actually working so we walked by.

20111014-Anglesey-4.jpg

The herbaceous garden is virtually finished but there is still plenty of colour in the dahlia border

20111014-Anglesey-11.jpg

There's a Red Admiral on the large white dahlia at the top left of the picture above, but at this size you may not see it.

20111014-Anglesey-5.jpg

20111014-Anglesey-6.jpg

Given a bit of sunshine, the house itself is always a picture and the warm stone and tile colours look particularly well in the autumn.

20111014-Anglesey-7.jpg

The back of the house is more difficult to catch because of the deep shade, but I think the modern extension fits in very well.

20111014-Anglesey-14.jpg

Lots of colour in the rose garden still and the lawns there are absolutely superb.

20111014-Anglesey-15.jpg

These archers get everywhere!

20111014-Anglesey-8.jpg

Not to mention the spiders . . . . do you see the web?

20111014-Anglesey-13.jpg

I have always liked the mixture of the informal and the formal at Anglesey, especially when there is a very natural looking avenue of trees . . . .

20111014-Anglesey-10.jpg

that opens suddenly onto a very formal piece of landscape art.

20111014-Anglesey-12.jpg

These lions always make me smile. I don't know where the sculptor got his model; a King Charles spaniel perhaps?

20111014-Anglesey-16.jpg

For the remainder, see part 2 below.

Anglesey Abbey Part 2

There are several wonderful formal avenues of trees chosen carefully for their arching habit.

20111014-Anglesey-17.jpg

And many of the vista plantings are breathtaking.

20111014-Anglesey-18.jpg

For my final contrast yesterday I went right down to leaf level. The variety of shapes and sizes is amazing. Here are two extremes.

20111014-Anglesey-19.jpg

20111014-Anglesey-20.jpg

We finished with tea in the late afternoon having dissipated all my initial irritation and having had a thoroughly pleasing and satisfactory day.

And just to bring it back to a motoring context, we averaged 60 m.p.g. for the journey . . . . . . :(